Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• New interview with WW`s Dee
    by Anna Reynolds at 18:18 on 28 July 2011
    Have a look at Dee's interview, where she talks about the down and upsides of self-publishing via Kindle:
    http://www.writewords.org.uk/interviews/dee_weaver.asp
  • Re: New interview with WW`s Dee
    by DAscroft at 13:44 on 02 August 2011
    I enjoyed your interview, Dee, and wish you luck with the book. I'm always heartened by(and cheering on)writers who decide to self publish. I did the same (in print form) a couple years ago and, while I wouldn't turn down a mainstream contract with decent terms, I don't regret self publishing either - it is wonderful to have the control (and the profits!).

Like you, I've often met with disapproval from mainstream published writers for my choice. It's a tough one to deal with and I was surprised at the amount of disapproval the choice generates. I look forward to the day when self publishing is viewed in a more enlightened way.

by Dee at 14:57 on 02 August 2011
    Many thanks, Dianne.

I think the stigma is among people in the trade - shops, reviewers, other writers etc - but readers don't give a damn whether a book is self-published or punted out by one of the biggie publishing houses, so long as it's professionally produced.

Dee
    by DAscroft at 16:11 on 02 August 2011
    Yes, the stigma is most definitely within the trade rather than from readers. As long as they enjoy the story most readers are not concerned about who published it.
    by Dee at 17:06 on 02 August 2011
    Even now, after more than ten years of writing, when I'm choosing a book I look at the author's name and the title, I read the blurb, I browse a few pages. It never occurs to me to see who published it.
    by susieangela at 18:10 on 02 August 2011
    There will be another new interview with Dee over at Strictly Writing on 4th August!
    Susiex