Login   Sign Up 

This 28 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • New Group Proposed - Older Writers
    by Bald Man at 19:53 on 18 January 2013
    Hi

The past tends to feature significantly in my short stories, and I also enjoy writing non-fiction articles on the 1950s and 60s for magazines, e.g. 'Past Times'. I suspect there are others on this site that enjoy this type of reflective writing.

So I've proposed a group for older writers (60+) who like to connect with the past in their fiction, poetry, or non-fiction work.

The experience of group members could be drawn on to check or prompt matters of post-war history. Group members could also suggest commercial outlets, give mutual support, and offer honest critique on style, form and content.

Anybody out there interested?

Colin
  • Re: New Group Proposed - Older Writers
    by AlanH at 05:27 on 19 January 2013
    Colin,

Your proposed group is a great idea. Having proposed three myself recently and had minimal interest, I can only sympathise that no one has joined yet. I will when I'm 60. (only 29, you see. And I lied on my WW application in case anyone checks.)

I guess (know) many WW members are beyond the stage where crit and support groups are useful, or viable.
    I've said it before, but what this site needs is an influx of new blood. And that is certainly not a reflection on the wonderful members already in residence.
    by Bald Man at 08:17 on 19 January 2013
    Alan

Thanks for the support. I'll check in again with you in 2044 to see if you're still interested. Cheers!

Colin
    by Catkin at 22:52 on 19 January 2013
    only 29, you see

Wow. I had you down for older than that, Alan - don't know why I had, because 29 is totally sorted and sensible and mature and ... everything. I was totally sorted and sensible and everything at 29 ... but it seems really young to me now!

<Added>

No, I'm not sure I believe it ... I think you were telling the truth on your profile ...
    by MariaH at 16:13 on 21 January 2013
    Hi Colin

I would be interested in joining your group except I'm not sixty until June 2014! (Maybe you could lower the age to 50 to generate more interest?)

I was a member of WW a while back, but had to drop out as a lot of major stresses occurred, sudden death of brother; close family member very ill for over a year; moving house; now just been made redundant after 23 years in the same job!

I thought with the extra time on my hands I would catch up on some fiction writing, but I seem to have hit creative brain death as it seems a struggle nowadays.

Writing some fact-based memories (50s and 60s were a lovely time to grow up) just might help get me back in the flow again...

Maria
    by EmmaD at 16:36 on 21 January 2013
    Hi Colin - I'm afraid I'm under the age-bar as well, but it sounds a lot of fun. One writer's historical period is another writer's fond memories.
    by Bald Man at 17:20 on 21 January 2013
    Hi Maria. I'll turn a blind eye - you won't need to produce your birth certificate to sign up to the group! I agree that writing one's memories is an excellent way to get back into the swing of all forms of writing. Hope you decide to sign up. The 60s were a great time to be a teenager.

Thanks for your support, Emma. I was I was under the age-bar again myself. Cheers!

Colin

<Added>

...or even wish I was
    by Katerina at 17:27 on 21 January 2013
    A lot of my stories involve older people and I've written a lot of anecdotal articles that appeal to older people - I had a regular column years ago on Agenet.

I'm almost fifty - well in three months, so I'll join if you'll have me?

Tina
    by Bald Man at 19:17 on 21 January 2013
    It'll be great to have you in the group, Tina.

Colin

by EmmaD at 22:45 on 21 January 2013
    Just adding a link the Groups page, so people can find the proposal:

http://www.writewords.org.uk/groups/
    by Bald Man at 22:49 on 21 January 2013
    Thanks Emma.
    by MariaH at 22:58 on 21 January 2013
    I noticed it still says "60+" on the link. Can't that be changed to 50+? I know you only need one more member now, but wouldn't it be better to have even more if possible?
    by Bald Man at 23:52 on 21 January 2013
    Maria. I'll ask the administrator to change it. There doesn't appear to be a way for me to do it. 50+ is fine with me.

Colin
    by Anna Reynolds at 14:21 on 22 January 2013
    I've also asked David to adjust the age range!
    by Manusha at 16:58 on 22 January 2013
    Good luck with the group, Colin, I hope it goes live.
  • This 28 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >