Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Etiquette
    by Kerry P at 14:50 on 04 February 2014
    When someone writes you a critique, what is the best way to thank them?
    I'm not sure if I should reply to the critique on the thread, or send them a message, or what.
    I don't want to appear ungrateful because I really appreciate every comment

• Re: Etiquette
    by GaiusCoffey at 14:59 on 04 February 2014
    People have different perspectives on this, but I think as long as there is some acknowledgement and thanks, that's ok. I've tended to put a comment after theirs saying thank-you.

And, of course (as I can see you've been doing smiley) paying it forward by critiquing other works keeps the site lively. It's a weird thing that a lot of the active critters are not very active writers, so there is not always a work to "crit back", IYSWIM, but if everybody who receives crits gives crits, then there is a lot more critting available.

G
    by NMott at 15:13 on 04 February 2014
    I've found with these new buttons at the bottom of every comment, people tend to click 'Like', 'Helpful' and/or 'Made Me Think' on a critique, which I feel is sufficient.
    If you want to add a word or two specifically about aspects of the crit in the comment box then that's fine.
    No need to WWmail them unless you had something specific to ask about the crit which you preferred to ask in private.

by Manusha at 16:50 on 04 February 2014
    I think it can be helpful if you leave a thank you on the thread, because then other member's of the group also know that you have read and acknowledged the critique. Otherwise, it could be thought the critique hasn't been read or valued and feel less inclined to comment on your work. 

Andy
    by Kerry P at 20:59 on 04 February 2014
    Thanks everyone. I'll make sure I leave a thank you on the thread from now on:)