Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 22 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 
  • Re: Racism, sexism and other taboos on WriteWords
    by Anna Reynolds at 23:35 on 06 May 2003
    Thanks for that, Fevvers- useful thoughts on a complex and continually emotive subject. Possibly the most absorbing subject matter for writers to ponder over nowadays I think.
    by breeksy at 08:15 on 07 May 2003
    Hi, I'm new here, just wanted to pitch in on this.

I think it is incredibly difficult to take a line on racism and sexism, particularly when you are in the 'business' of producing fiction. For example you may be writing a piece to explore some of these issues, how can you do that without having at least one character that encompasses at least some of what is deemed offensive.

Individuality is another problem. Some people, like Paul53, do not like throwaway blasphemy. I have just written a play where one of the characters uses, what is to me, very minor blasphemy. To some that may be offensive, I used it to illustrate who that person is.

I believe it will be impossible to come up with a policy that will suit everyone. And I'm not sure what the right way forward would be. I would hope that a community which the writer's subscribe to would allow those writers freedoms to post the work they want others to comment on. If it includes a personal attack then there is no question about it. But as for racist and sexist content - if it is within the context of work that writer is producing, then the other members are free to say exactly how strongly they feel about it, and can boycott the writers furure work, if they so wish.

As an aside, I didn't see the original 'offensive' piece of work. If Davide wants to wwmail it to me, I would be interested to see it for myself - you never know, my opinion might be changed by it.
    by david bruce at 08:26 on 07 May 2003
    if it is within the context of work that writer is producing

what if it's not in context, just gratuitous?
    by breeksy at 10:13 on 07 May 2003
    As I said - it's a difficult call to make. In some cases, where the work submitted is an excerpt, it may be difficult to tell without the full context. In other cases maybe the writer is relatively new and needs advice as to how to handle scenes or figure out what is required in the piece. In some the writer may, purely and simply, want to shock.

If there was an easy answer then wouldn't it be straightforward! This is a tough call to make, and I'm glad it is not me that has to draw up the policy!
    by tweed at 10:33 on 07 May 2003
    This argument could run and run.
    Why don't each of us take some kind of responsibility and if our work contains what some might construe as bad language or blasphemous views etc, issue a warning in the summary box when we upload. Not ideal I know but this would go at least some way to allowing those of a tender disposition to sleep at night?
    In the end this site belongs to David Bruce and therefore is his ‘responsibility’, maybe this idea would assist him?

To those who advocate total, free for all, free speech, I would say that it seems obvious to me that in order to avoid any kind of (perish the thought), libellous (or is it slanderous) action etc, someone has to ‘police’ the site, whether we the members like it or not.
    It looks like David has drawn the short straw.
    by Hilary Custance at 13:14 on 07 May 2003
    I have not seen this material but I would like to add a comment from another perspective. Apart from the problem of people being caused offence, there are another set of people who are vulnerable to racist, sexist, and violent language. These are the unstable people out there (and, believe me, there are millions), for whom such language inflames and destabilises their impulses. Unless the context of the piece of writing provides a sufficient barrier, such a person could be tipped into dangerous speech or action. For this reason, as well as possibly giving offence, a person (or persons) needs to decide when the language on this site could result in danger to others, and take appropriate action.
    (Psychology lecture over - I tried to post this point early this morning, but it has got lost) Cheers, Hilary
    by Hendrix at 19:10 on 09 May 2003
    I understand Racism as a social/political construction which is deeply ingrained in British and other colonised societies - in paticular.

However any form of work which insights racism or sexism should not be uploaded or allowed to appear on writewords; there is a legal boundary.

Bigotry has no place in creative writing!

Further I have for many years covered topics in my writing on other things considered "taboo"; however I am always logically aware that I am challenging discourse; which aids the process of a more harmonious and constructively - minded society.Let us all accept responsibility.

Lauren Paige
  • This 22 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2