Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• I need treatment
    by Dee at 15:36 on 19 December 2003
    I think I've been attached to my laptop for too long. I'm reading a printed copy of the novel I'm working on to see what it looks like on hard copy and I've just looked at the bottom right-hand corner of the paper to see what the time is... is that sad or what... but I know you'll understand... pass the medication someone...

Dee
    )
  • Re: I need treatment
    by Jubbly at 16:23 on 19 December 2003
    Dee that's hilarious, if I was still doing stand up comedy I'd incorporate that into a routine, use it.
    by Dee at 17:16 on 19 December 2003
    Yes... well... I decided I need to getalife so I cleaned out the fridge this afternoon (that's what you end up doing when you're off work sick) but it's an overated pastime so I'm back to the laptop.

Technology can make such an idiot of you if you don't control it. At work I have been known to hold a mouse to my ear instead of my mobile phone but that can't compare to a guy who was once making the coffee when the phone rang. He had a freshly boiled kettle in his hand at the time... It wasn't pretty... and, no, I'm not making it up.

Dee
    by david bruce at 17:25 on 19 December 2003
    Try being a webmaster then!

I often want to 'control Z' things in the real world. Very irritating that I can't!
    by Jubbly at 17:35 on 19 December 2003
    I spend too much time with a small child. Whilst out with an recently a plane flew over head. I excitedly looked up and pointed, shouting, "Look, plane!" I need help.
    by old friend at 21:34 on 19 December 2003
    Lovely Jubbly!

Len
    by Sue H at 08:03 on 20 December 2003
    I am so glad it's not just me! I have pointed out horses in fields to so many total strangers on the train!!

As for the computer, we fight to use it in our family. "Mummy's got work to do," doesn't go down all that well when Mummy is found on the Write Words website yet again...

I have to say that it's the phone that lets me down. I work from home part of the time, so we have three telephone lines and two mobile phones. I am forever picking up the phone and then being unable to speak at all because I can't rememember where I am. At least your email programme tells you who you are! I shall stick to the computer - when I'm allowed on it!

Sue
    by Ellenna at 10:24 on 20 December 2003
    Hmmm... I am several months down the line from being a newbie on WW .. you might find it sort of wanes .. the compulsion to get up at the crack of dawn and log on panting ! ( By the way Dee my laptop gave up the ghost suddenly from over use and has to be replaced ..so be warned !) It's quite nice to reach a more relaxed pace...they say that happens in "middle age" though not seeing any sign of me doing that for "real" it might just be a temporary blip on WW .. watch this space!

Happy Christmas everyone !

Ellie
    by Dee at 11:07 on 20 December 2003
    Know what you mean, Ellie. I'm on my second laptop already...

by olebut at 12:24 on 20 December 2003
    Dee

I knew somebody who was ironing when the phone rang equally nasty.

as for spending time on the PC I bought a PC to make it easier to store my writng and instead of a TV which I considered a time waster.

Oh well I guess at least the PC is interactive and I have met some nice people all in all

david
    by steve at 14:39 on 20 December 2003
    I think you're going nuts when you shout at the PC because you've press a wrong key, like it's the machine's fault. Best thing is, they don't answer back ;o)

Steve
    by Dee at 14:56 on 20 December 2003
    Know what you mean. I once hit the wrong button and deleted 85,000 words of a novel. Thank god for the undo function...
    by Jumbo at 17:11 on 20 December 2003
    But then of course, Dee, you are the organised sort who makes multiple security back-up copies every five minutes, so that even if you do CTRL-A and CTRL-X you would still have it all safely stored on a CD or second hard drive, wouldn't you.

Wouldn't you?

John
    by Hilary at 18:40 on 20 December 2003
    I feel much better for reading this thread.

Someone asked me last week, "Do you know there's such a thing as an Internet junkie, Hilary?"

Nice to know it's not just me that needs help!

Hilary