Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Battle
    by steve at 14:36 on 20 December 2003
    I'm being asked by several folks how to develop a battle scene. The setting depends on the period in question to how soldiers move and weapons are fired, or swung. But, putting that aside, whatever the main charatcer, his/her battle is the ground immediately around their feet. Personally I make a template. I sketch out the immediate area of the fight on paper, putting down streets, builings and bunkers, trenches etc. I then put on, usually in a square, a tank say, and a circle for the charatcers; I then move them as pieces to points with arrows, marking a clash. This is a guide only but i find it so helpful to develop a mental picture, for as I write I already know where the 'hot-spots' are, and the rest just flows from the fingers. As with all things thought, characters can leap off the plan and do their own thing, but that's writing.

I've even dragged myself along the floor, keeping one leg stiff, trying to get a feel of a wounded soldier, crawling from danger. It sounds stupid, but it helped.

I'd be interested to know how others build pictures and move their charatcers. I think little things like this, shared between us, will enrich us all.
  • Re: Battle
    by Dee at 15:12 on 20 December 2003
    Interesting stuff, Steve.

I think research is everything. We write fiction but, if it’s set in the real world, it has to work. Get your continuity wrong or have a character do something physically impossible and that’s what sticks in the reader’s mind.
    I know a crime writer who acts out all the action scenes with her husband. I’ll get in the car and drive for hours to check out my facts if need be. And there’s always the internet, of course.
    I try not to assume anything. Accurate details give so much authenticity to a story that people will believe the fiction without question.

Dee.
    by Jumbo at 16:52 on 20 December 2003
    I've certainly gone to the extent of drawing maps of locations. If the location is real I dig out the ordnance survey maps of the area.

If the location is imaginary but the bigger location is real (for example a hostel for vagrants, located in central Leeds) I still go for a street map to make sure that what I write makes some sort of sens in the location.

But if the location is total fabrication I always draw street maps and room plans of the buildings. I even look for photographs of similar properties to give me a 'handle' when I put them down on paper.

I also think this is where 'write about what you know' holds true, in that writing about locations with which you are familiar allows you to build in some fairly precise detail.

Steve, not yet got to the extent of crawling across the floor - but I have found myself trying out hand movements and other mannerisms.

John
    by Dee at 17:51 on 20 December 2003
    It's worth bearing in mind that research is just as important for the fictitious locations. If you invent, for example, a hostel for vagrants located in central Leeds, and use it as a setting for a murder or drug dealing, you'd better be sure first that there really isn't such a place or they might get picky about your effect on their reputation.

And, don't forget, we can all help each other with research, as Steve is doing.

Dee.
    by Jumbo at 18:19 on 20 December 2003
    Yes, that's true. Wouldn't want to lower their standard of cliente.

So, is there anyone near Leeds who can give me the low down (?) on hostels for vagrants in the centre of the city? More details of my imaginary location available on request.

John

<Added>

You probably guessed this, but that should say clientele.
    by Dee at 18:47 on 20 December 2003
    Just one M62 junction away, John...

Dee
    by Jumbo at 19:08 on 20 December 2003
    Dee

I'll email you.

John
    by Account Closed at 10:45 on 22 December 2003
    If you want to write battle scenes, might I suggest purchasing a game in the vein of the Rainbow 6 series on PC.

The game has two modes, firstly intricately planning every move from every team member, which code words to use to advance/retreat, how to treat every room you enter, which actions to be taken when and where.

And then, you go and do it in full 3D to see how well it works. You can replay the mission as many times you like to refine the action so it flows the way you want it to.

I think it would work well for someone trying to develop a specific combat scenario, and I think there is a level editor available to help create your own 'mission', as it were.
    by steve at 18:37 on 22 December 2003
    Good point with the gaming. I used to research and develop WW2 games, mostly Russian Front using the Talonsoft engine; additionally, if you want to feel the pure chance of battle and reality (as close as it gets), try Call of Duty.

Steve