Login   Sign Up 

• Give and you shall receive
    by david bruce at 09:24 on 20 May 2003
    I've just added a little box on the member profile page (down at the bottom) to show the balance between the amount of comments received and the amount given.

If anyone feels that their work on the site has been overlooked, the answer will probably be in this box - the more comments you make (especially helpful and constructive ones), the more you are likely to receive. It's recommended therefore that you try to keep this graph tilted in the direction of 'comments posted', to ensure you have positive karma
  • Re: Give and you shall receive
    by Ally at 09:41 on 20 May 2003
    Quote 'It's recommended therefore that you try to keep this graph tilted in the direction of 'comments posted', to ensure you have positive karma'

Of course, it is impossible for everyone to have more comments posted than comments received .... for every 'debit' there is a 'credit', so I'm not sure this is a good idea. If one person produces a piece of work that generates a large amount of comments due to the nature of it - as some here do, they then will have to spend all day writing comments just to equal out the balance.

I think the better judge is looking at the persons rating, and seeing where their points come from and what their most recent comments are.
    by david bruce at 09:52 on 20 May 2003
    hmmm.. a very valid point
    what does anyone else think
    am I consigning it to the bin?
    by tweed at 10:03 on 20 May 2003
    All I know is that Anna Reynolds should be given a medal for her stirling work. While site experts seem a little thin on the ground these days, Anna pops up everywhere. Thanks Anna.
    by tweed at 10:07 on 20 May 2003
    Has Indra Bhose been kidnapped by aliens? I think we should be told.
    by Beverley Hills at 16:12 on 20 May 2003
    It also depends on quality not quantity, you as a bloke should know that David after all you boys taught us girls how long six inches really is ;-) (am I banned yet?)
    by tweed at 16:18 on 20 May 2003
    Hear, hear Bev. But only 6 inches!!?
    by olebut at 17:09 on 20 May 2003
    i think you should run with it and see if it provves useful to members perhaps you could construct a member poll in say a month an dif the feed back is not positive or just plain apothetic chop it off ( oops the box atthe bottom of the page not the 6 inches)
    by Account Closed at 17:29 on 20 May 2003
    Unfortunately, systems like these are widely open to abuse.

I could waltz into 30 pieces of work, comment on them without reading them, just say "I enjoyed this, good stuff", and then abracadabra, I'm a good site contributor, etc.

Conversely, I could comment on my own work endlessly, without reason, and the counters are again foiled...

Thoughts?
    by olebut at 17:42 on 20 May 2003
    thoughts

1 I assume members are here for positive feed back and helpful
    advice

2 I assume members do not post for self adoration

3 Despite age I assume members are adult enough to respect the
    system for what it is

4 and it is only a crude measuring device to indicate an
    activity level in the same way as the numerical value by your
    name icon. Surely it isnt how often you contribute but the
    value of your contribution that is important

There are numerous sites where you can post work where a voting system is in operation and you can vote for your own work which seems a totally pointless and worthless excercise. I write because I enjoy it I hope others who read my work do aswell if they dont that doesnt take away any of the enjoyment I get from it or its value as a poem or piece of prose.#
    If by commenting on it those people who may not like it offer pointers that allow me to improve my work then the acceptance level may go up without me changing the content or indeed my style
    obvious yes probably

I agree with your synasism about the value of such a monitor but I can see it does no harm so why not as I have said earlier give it a run.
    by tweed at 17:47 on 20 May 2003
    Give it a go Dave.
    by david bruce at 18:04 on 20 May 2003
    insane - a vote on your own work counts as both a give and a receive so it cancels itself out.
    by olebut at 18:06 on 20 May 2003
    yes but it would increase the number count and think what that would do to the ego
    by Beverley Hills at 18:59 on 20 May 2003
    Hang on a minute, what's the point system all about then?
    by tweed at 19:06 on 20 May 2003
    don't bother dave