Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 50 message thread spans 4 pages:  < <   1   2  3  4  > >  
  • Re: Feedback cap
    by old friend at 13:24 on 17 February 2004
    Anthony,
    Yes, I have been asked by email and have responded as positively as I am able. You are absolutely right when you suggest that in this way one can be more 'helpful' when adverse but constructive comments are to be made. After
    all if someone feels that you can be of assistance then comments need to be helpful and expressed in a diplomatic manner.

This is not to say that normal commenting is less effective but I feel that the writer is seeking opinions or answers to the question, 'How may my work be improved?' and if the comments are from Members whose opinions are respected - as Writers, not as 'nice' people - then such opinions may be welcomed even if not 'a slap on the back'.

Len
    by Nell at 13:53 on 17 February 2004
    I've been asked by email too, either to read something and leave a comment, or to comment privately. I don't mind at all, it's good to think that one's opinion is valued, although I wouldn't like to be swamped and have to refuse through lack of time and pressure of commitments.

<Added>

I wanted to say also that I've always felt that within a group there's an implied duty to comment on other members' work. This can be difficult on occasion, but even something small - as long as it's honestly felt - helps, and one can always find something good in any piece of work to balance the more constructive comments.
    by Dee at 14:49 on 17 February 2004
    A few people have asked me, via WWmail, to read their work and comment on it privately. While I feel thrilled and honoured that they should value my opinion, I always say no, although I do make a point of reading and commenting on it, in as much detail as I can, in the usual way.

Partly this is because my time is limited and my workload gigantic but, mostly, it’s because I feel very strongly that the open archive discussions are valuable to more than the individual writers. I read and learn from comments posted about other people’s work – I’m sure we all do – and also seeing someone else echo my own views on a particular piece of work helps me enormously, both in my own writing and in the way I comment on others’

Dee.
    by Nell at 15:33 on 17 February 2004
    Ouch.
    by Dee at 16:07 on 17 February 2004
    Sorry? Have I missed something?
    by Nell at 16:25 on 17 February 2004
    Nope, right on target.
    by Dee at 16:27 on 17 February 2004
    OK. I give up...
    by Account Closed at 17:03 on 17 February 2004
    Heh, fantastic.
    by Nell at 17:32 on 17 February 2004
    Just got back from walking Spike Milligan. To clarify before this thread gets any sillier than it is already.

'Ouch': Knee-jerk reaction after a slap on the wrist.

'Nope, right on target': Me forgetting to count to ten before I post.

I honestly think though, that with however many thousands of comments there are in the archive that one or two missing ones are not going to deprive anyone of learning material. Maybe I'm wrong.

<Added>

IB, are you a vampire?
    by Dee at 19:14 on 17 February 2004
    Silly? I thought we were having a very intersting discussion about feedback... when did it get silly?

Dee.
    by old friend at 20:35 on 17 February 2004
    I disagree with Dee on the question of refusing to respond privately if requested by a Member - again privately.

One Writer - for example - asked me to comment on her work even before she uploaded it. I was privileged to help.

WriteWords is, as I see it, a democratic site, including the email service to allow for private communications. If, for any reason, a Member wishes to request information, help or comments on specific work then I see nothing amiss with this. If the sender wishes to keep this private, then so be it.

Certainly we can all refuse, that's part of our 'democracy'.

Len
    by Jumbo at 21:03 on 17 February 2004
    Len

Surely that's the point.

Because WW is a democratic site, Dee has the right to comment privately, if she wishes.

That's her decision, not yours or mine!

John

<Added>

... or, indeed, not to comment privately
    by Dee at 21:20 on 17 February 2004
    Len, you are entitled to your opinions/views/feelings as I am to mine. I didn’t ‘refuse’ to comment – I decided not to – and I have explained my reasons, both to the people who asked me, and on this thread.

Of course it’s OK for members to request information, help or comments. I am fully aware that a great deal of communication goes on behind the scenes. But, if I don’t feel qualified to give the feedback, or if I don’t have the time to give something the attention it deserves, please don’t suggest I’m being undemocratic. I’m simply being realistic with my available time.

Dee.

<Added>

John, many thanks for your support. It's much appreciated.

x
    by old friend at 22:32 on 17 February 2004
    Dear Dee,
    No-one is even remotely suggesting that any Member is acting in a less than democratic way. My point is that it is because we are democratic that Members may choose how much feedback we are prepared to provide and the form that this feedback may take.

If Members wish to have 'private' feedback then that facility is there with the email service. The fact that some Members may not wish to provide any comments in this way is understood by all. This is what I meant by 'democratic'.

Len
    by Account Closed at 10:49 on 18 February 2004
    I'm a vampire of sorts, I suppose, but not the dreamy, romantic type that hangs about in candle-lit castles and seduces young maidens in the fog.

No, not I.
  • This 50 message thread spans 4 pages:  < <   1   2  3  4  > >