Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Good practices for those with full time jobs
    by Creativegrl at 23:03 on 09 February 2004
    Apologies in advance if this is not the right part of the forum for this question. Please move it if you like.

I have a full-time job, standard 9-5 Mon-Fri. It involves a lot of desk work and report writing which uses the same energy as writing unfortunately, but it pays well.

I am trying to get into a productive writing routine around full-time work, and finding it difficult. At this rate, I'm wondering how it will ever be finished.

Does anyone have any practiced methods for getting work done while holding down a full-time job? When do you write? Do you set specific time aside each day? How about weekends? Do you work in a particular way - such as "writing" at night and "revising" during the day?

I'm not a morning person - I cope with late nights better than early mornings.

Thanks in advance.
    CG.
  • Re: Good practices for those with full time jobs
    by Sue H at 06:26 on 10 February 2004
    You're not going to like my "routine", then but could adapt? I get up at 6am and spend the next hour writing. I also take a notebook with me and write on trains, buses, anywhere that gives me a spare ten minutes. I use the small chunks of time for making notes, writing bits of dialogue that spring to mind, planning. I don't revise until I've finished the whole thing. Just write it and carry on. Because my writing time is so limited I have to be disciplined and make sure I do force myself to pick up the pen/sit at the computer and write. I also structure my writing - I have an outline of the book first, then I break it down into chapter plans. I also do quite detailed character sketches (can be done on the train!) and plot lines. It is hard trying to fit a decent of writing time in but you just have to think of the day when you are making enough money from it to give up the day job. I just wish that day would hurry up for me! Good luck.
    Sue
    by KnoxOverstreet at 07:05 on 10 February 2004
    Hi GP/CG. I'm with Sue on this (hence the time of day). I've tried lots of alternatives but the best way seems to be to use all the odd moments when you'd normally be doing 'nothing' (train, lunchtime, just before bed etc) to sketch out notes and ideas, and always, always, carry a very small notebook to capture overheard conversations, feelings and experiences. The mistake I made in the beginning was to try and turn everything in the notebook into a story, but I am coming to the realisation that just writing it is the key. Then, after a while, sections of the ideas/sketches/conversations begin to form a coherent narrative. Of course the hard part is finding enough time to put it all together and do all the follow-up editing (two things I'm not very good at yet). I tend to do this on Sunday mornings when it's quiet.

Last stage is to join and use this site, where the comments and advice happen even while you are at work. Working and writing is difficult, but it is possible. Good luck - look forward to reading your stuff.
    by old friend at 08:39 on 10 February 2004
    Hello G.P.

I think Sue has the answer in adopting a routine and using every opportune moment. It is not easy to stick to a routine but it is worth trying. It depends how important your writing is to you

You may be a very good writer but if you intend to be a serious writer and aim to have the world read and appreciate your work, then you have to get down to it and write whenever and wherever you can... otherwise you will not finish any work and the world may lose a brilliant new author.
    Lots of luck.

Len
    by James Anthony at 09:13 on 10 February 2004
    I've got a full time job and have written two novels and some short stories. However they have just happened and have not been down to discipline - tend to have just happened and I am not sure when...
    by Galahad at 09:43 on 10 February 2004
    Hi Sue,

I tend to set aside specific times throughout the day when I MAKE myself jot down some ideas.

1. When I wake up and make a cuppa at about 6:30am

2. When I arrive in work for 8:30, and am waiting for the kettle to boil.

3. At around 11am when everyone else is having a smoke break.

4. During lunch hour.

5. Next time everyone takes a smoke break....etc.

Then I take these home, and after a 'chillout' period of about 2 hours, I look at what I MADE myself write through the day, and try and pull it together.

Sometimes I end up with a paragraph of rubbish, as my day meant I rushed my thoughts, but other times it comes together nicely

Galahad
    by Sue H at 09:49 on 10 February 2004
    I think it is important to make yourself write every day. Sometimes it's forced rubbish, sometimes inspired writing. What struck me when I first started writing seriously, was how hard it was. It really does require a lot of discipline to write even when you can think of a million reasons not to. It's still a joy to write, to create something, otherwise why would we bother but by writing every single day, whether I want to or not, I have greatly improved the quality of my work.
    Sue
    by Account Closed at 10:54 on 10 February 2004
    I agree with Sue. I've started keeping a writing diary, jotting down what I've done writing wise. It's good as a pick me up when I feel I'm stagnating because I look back at it sometimes and am amazed at how much I've done (while still thinking I should do more!)

Write every day - we're back to the famous morning pages from Julia Cameron's 'The Artist's Way'...
    by Sue H at 10:55 on 10 February 2004
    They work for me!
    Sue
    by James Anthony at 10:59 on 10 February 2004
    I am amazed that people write everyday. Most of my stuff goes on in my head - working out storylines, how to write it, sub-plots, style, characters, etc all the time. I may jot them down in a book at the end of the day, but I certainly don't write all the time.
    by Nigel at 13:53 on 10 February 2004
    Not having enough time is not necessarily a bad thing...

My job tends to be tidal (several weeks of intense work followed by periods of inactivity). In the intense periods I snatch the odd hour here and there to write (lunch hour, evenings, etc), whereas in the slack periods I have many spare hours to kill. Interestingly, the quality of the writing and satisfaction gained is considerably higher in the intense periods; in the slack periods I find myself sitting in front of the glowing screen for long periods of time, with a distinct lack of words springing from my fingers. If anyone here is in the position of being able to give up their day job and devote themselves entirely to writing, I would recommend they conduct a two or three week trial period first. You might be surprised at how lonely and isolated being a full-time writer can be.

Just some thoughts,
    Nigel
    by Dee at 23:10 on 10 February 2004
    I’ve been out tonight to our local writers’ circle. The group is run by a full time crime writer (third novel due out this summer) and tonight we had a speaker, Sue Rann, whose first book has just been published.

They both spoke about another writer they know. This guy had a full time job and wrote his first novel in six months, snatching every spare moment he could to work on his book. He made enough money from it to give up the day job. Faced with the luxury of plenty of time, it took him eighteen months to write his second…

Dee.
    by word`s worth at 18:34 on 12 February 2004
    It's interesting to see all the different ways that writers work. I think the main concensus seems to be that you carry a pen and paper/notebook or even a dictaphone with you at all times for those unexpected times of inspiration in the most unusual places.

I don't necessarily write every day unless I'm in the throes of a new story that I just have to get down and let it take over from there. As I get into the story, it ebbs and flows as I chew on my thoughts and ideas. I have to admit that I've never sketched out characters in detail, worked out time-lines, chapters etc. These things are constantly in my head, I live with them and I know them off by heart.

It maybe a little unorthodox but I find if I plan everything to the minutest detail it doesn't go well but if I just write what I have in my head then the characters develop as I write and turn out much better than I would have planned. Thinking on it now, I don't think I ever stop thinking about my stories/plots no matter what I'm doing - and I mean no matter. For me, that's just the same as writing every day. Sad, perhaps, and this has been at the expense of a good night's sleep for the past year as the late hours are the only times that I get any quiet and time to myself.

A writer is driven by a story and not the other way around - I believe. My writer's block lasted 22 years - I knew I wanted to write, to be a writer, I knew there was 'something' inside my head but I couldn't find it - it was hidden from me. I found it (hallelujah!) and there's no stopping me now and I'm being pushed by the stories I have to tell.

So CG, write whenever you can, however you can, whatever you can...write, write, write - it's a beautiful and wonderful thing to be able to do!

Nahed
    by Creativegrl at 01:17 on 13 February 2004
    Thanks for all your great responses; it's extremely heartening and inspiring.

The things I do do now are carry around little notebooks and write in my diary regularly. Like everyone here I think, I like to write down scraps of conversations, sudden ideas and anything else that comes to mind, in the notebooks. One of the funniest ones recently was when I was doing a coastal walk. I'd sat down and a thirty-something couple walked past quietly talking. I heard the guy say to the girl, "Hufflepuff wouldn't be that bad, really..." The pros and cons of Harry Potter houses. I then transcribe the snippets or thoughts onto a Word file. I have a whole lot of word files for different things such as dialogue or themes or characters, for my current work. I also have a dictatape when I need to get it out quickly or when walking. I have found walking is a great way to work through ideas and I need to have it if something comes to light then too.

It all adds up to bits and pieces which can be used when the time's ready. I let ideas mull around in my mind and I find the little light bulb up there flashes on at the most unusual moments so the notebooks are essential.

I am going to try getting up early. It's not really my strong point, but I'll see if it works for a week or so. I really did want to know whether anyone followed a successful routine or how they managed so I'll give it a go. And I am inspired to really use every moment. I do use my free moments at work at lunch and on the train which all make a difference.

The hardest thing I find is sitting down to write after sitting down at work all day. I figured I needed to do more exercise and be physical and I am now finding that helps mentally. Then I feel relaxed and in a good frame of mind to write.

I'm also finding that writing everyday is important, no matter the result. I feel despondent if I don't, and I think it's like any endeavour in that it requires practice to become accomplished.

Yes I also read about a lawyer who wrote his first book on the train to and from work so I figure if he can do it, so can I! I also heard that you just have to write, to demistify the process, rather than think of it as some sort of religious experience which can only be achieved if the circumstances are perfect. And many writers do say they get more done through snatching time than when they have blocks of time available to them. Having said that, I have a month off in May and I'm looking forward to uninterrupted time to write and focus!!!

So far I have major plot points mapped out and am writing around them, as well as working on the structure to make sure it makes sense. I am also redefining my characters and looking at overall style. Will write more elsewhere.

Thanks again.
    by Creativegrl at 01:18 on 13 February 2004
    Thanks for all your great responses; it's extremely heartening and inspiring.

The things I do do now are carry around little notebooks and write in my diary regularly. Like everyone here I think, I like to write down scraps of conversations, sudden ideas and anything else that comes to mind, in the notebooks. One of the funniest ones recently was when I was doing a coastal walk. I'd sat down and a thirty-something couple walked past quietly talking. I heard the guy say to the girl, "Hufflepuff wouldn't be that bad, really..." The pros and cons of Harry Potter houses. I then transcribe the snippets or thoughts onto a Word file. I have a whole lot of word files for different things such as dialogue or themes or characters, for my current work. I also have a dictatape when I need to get it out quickly or when walking. I have found walking is a great way to work through ideas and I need to have it if something comes to light then too.

It all adds up to bits and pieces which can be used when the time's ready. I let ideas mull around in my mind and I find the little light bulb up there flashes on at the most unusual moments so the notebooks are essential.

I am going to try getting up early. It's not really my strong point, but I'll see if it works for a week or so. I really did want to know whether anyone followed a successful routine or how they managed so I'll give it a go. And I am inspired to really use every moment. I do use my free moments at work at lunch and on the train which all make a difference.

The hardest thing I find is sitting down to write after sitting down at work all day. I figured I needed to do more exercise and be physical and I am now finding that helps mentally. Then I feel relaxed and in a good frame of mind to write.

I'm also finding that writing everyday is important, no matter the result. I feel despondent if I don't, and I think it's like any endeavour in that it requires practice to become accomplished.

Yes I also read about a lawyer who wrote his first book on the train to and from work so I figure if he can do it, so can I! I also heard that you just have to write, to demistify the process, rather than think of it as some sort of religious experience which can only be achieved if the circumstances are perfect. And many writers do say they get more done through snatching time than when they have blocks of time available to them. Having said that, I have a month off in May and I'm looking forward to uninterrupted time to write and focus!!!

So far I have major plot points mapped out and am writing around them, as well as working on the structure to make sure it makes sense. I am also redefining my characters and looking at overall style. Will write more elsewhere.

Thanks again.