Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 23 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >  
  • Re: Published authors - how did you do it?
    by James Anthony at 15:21 on 13 February 2004
    Just a thought, but I don't think that it would be good for this website. This website isn't about being published, and therefore not about any of the feelings, good and bad, that come with it. It is about feedback and support in a lot of cases. I feel that it may become a source of resentment and it is nice that the published authors (hallowed be their names) don't feel pressured or anything. They can say they like a story without the next question being: will you take it to your agent/ publisher then?

Of course that's just my thoughts and I may be wrong.
    by Jumbo at 15:41 on 13 February 2004
    James

An interesting couple of points you make there. The first being that This website isn't about being published
    and the second that It is about feedback and support in a lot of cases.

My perception is that the majority of people who post pieces of fiction (can't really speak for the poets and the script-writers) on this site are seeking feedback because they want, eventually, to be published. Now that's only my impression, but when you read the number of threads that are asking 'How do I get my stuff noticed?', (including this one, I might add) well, that confirms it for me.

Having said that, neither do I agree with K's 1-10 scoring system, and all of the added implications!

by Terry Edge at 15:44 on 13 February 2004
    I agree with you, James. This site works well because people feel free to comment on others' writing just for itself. Once you introduce scoring systems geared towards possible submissions to publishers, everything changes. I was once a member of a US writers' site, set-up by a big publisher. The promise was that they would publish the most popular submissions. Although they put in a proviso that their editors' views were paramount and people shouldn't expect to be published just because site members liked their book, there was a lot of competition there. Quite a few went overboard in assessing loads of peoples' work but then pressurising them into reciprocating. Reviews were often short, bland and ridiculously positive (scores of 5 out of 5 were common) - because people wanted positive scores back. Similarly, negative comments were sometimes fiercely resisted because they were seen to spoil a writer's chances at being published. It probably goes without saying that very few books were taken on by the publisher, and then only for their e-books department, and that the site closed down fairly soon after it started.

I can't honestly see many agents being swayed by a submission that's accompanied by some good reviews from a few fellow site members. This is not to put down WW members in the slightest. But the only recommendations agents will take seriously are from people whose views they trust - editors, readers, perhaps their own writers.
    by Terry Edge at 15:45 on 13 February 2004
    I agree with you, James. This site works well because people feel free to comment on others' writing just for itself. Once you introduce scoring systems geared towards possible submissions to publishers, everything changes. I was once a member of a US writers' site, set-up by a big publisher. The promise was that they would publish the most popular submissions. Although they put in a proviso that their editors' views were paramount and people shouldn't expect to be published just because site members liked their book, there was a lot of competition there. Quite a few went overboard in assessing loads of peoples' work but then pressurising them into reciprocating. Reviews were often short, bland and ridiculously positive (scores of 5 out of 5 were common) - because people wanted positive scores back. Similarly, negative comments were sometimes fiercely resisted because they were seen to spoil a writer's chances at being published. It probably goes without saying that very few books were taken on by the publisher, and then only for their e-books department, and that the site closed down fairly soon after it started.

I can't honestly see many agents being swayed by a submission that's accompanied by some good reviews from a few fellow site members. This is not to put down WW members in the slightest. But the only recommendations agents will take seriously are from people whose views they trust - editors, readers, perhaps their own writers.
    by James Anthony at 15:58 on 13 February 2004
    Okay, when I mean about getting published I mean this isn't a means to advertise work as such. It's about advice, support, and the like. It's not a way of submitting your work for publication. And I think it should stay that way. We would have to rely on the site experts and it could cause problems in relationships that way. In the same way that if your doctor had to tell your employers when he thinks you are not sick enough to be off work (and you are), that would cause tension and be detrimental to the future relationship. I think this would also.

I think we should get others thoughts on it though. Interesting suggestion.
    by scriptsplayed at 16:56 on 13 February 2004
    take a wee look at www.triggerstreet.com and you get a hint at what I'm on about - it's film scripts and short films though, not novels and short stories.
    K
    by Dee at 18:52 on 13 February 2004
    I would strongly resist any compulsion or obligation to comment on any piece of work. In fact I would probably leave the site if that became the case.

My reasons?

Firstly: any comments, advice, contributions to forum discussions would lose their value if ploughed out just to maintain the required quota.

Secondly: I’m trying to edit one novel, finish another and plot a third… I already spend too much time on WW!

And thirdly: I’m a stubborn bitch! Someone tells me I MUST do something and I go right ahead and not do it…

This is a great site as it stands. I still feel that a ‘brutality scale’ for feedback is a good idea (on another current forum… along the lines of ‘be gentle through to crucify me). The nearer a writer gets to punting out work to agents, the more detailed and critical the feedback to them needs to be. So, until such a system evolves, maybe we should indicate in the intro to an uploaded piece what level we can tolerate. (I think I could perhaps have found a better way to word that but, hell, it’s Friday!

Cheers
    Dee.
    by SamMorris at 20:17 on 13 February 2004
    I have to agree, I really don't like the idea of a points scoring system. By adding a rating system I think WW would stop becoming a community and just become another competition. I have nothing against competitions, but there seem plenty around already.

Just my thoughts...

Sam
  • This 23 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >