Login   Sign Up 

• Google Advertisements / Advertisements Full Stop
    by Account Closed at 16:25 on 25 February 2004
    Would it be possible for advertisements to be disabled / hidden to Full and or Part WW subscription members?
  • Re: Google Advertisements / Advertisements Full Stop
    by Account Closed at 16:33 on 25 February 2004
    Favouritism, surely! Besides, what would you have there instead?
    by Account Closed at 16:46 on 25 February 2004
    I wouldn't go as far as favouritism, maybe added membership feature, for some members who have smaller screens or would like to have and benefit from the extra browser window space (assuming the replacement of "Site Search"), I'm sure this would come as a welcomed extra. Not forgetting that advertisements are generally placed for the hope or needed existence of a revenue stream, which we help support by being subscription members of a thirty five pound a year fee.

However merely a thought only.
    by Account Closed at 16:51 on 25 February 2004
    Note: My unwritten assumption here was that the left menu could then be made optionally collapsible, thus allowing the WW site's middle content area to be expanded as and when needed.
    by Account Closed at 17:07 on 25 February 2004
    A better long term solution would be to buy a bigger monitor. 800x600 is no longer industry standard, and is considered more of a legacy screen resolution rather than a specific consideration in web design.

I could go on a techy rant about the benefits of large monitors, but I doubt it will endear you to me much and certainly won;t make me look tough and clever, and more attractive to women etc.
    by Account Closed at 17:37 on 25 February 2004
    Without the intention of prolonging this discussion any longer than need be.

I am actually fortunate enough to have the luxury of a 21" monitor, however for those not so fortunate to 'benefit from the better long term solution' you suggested, might somehow increase their productivity or the minimalist Zen that could come with a larger reading and writing space, that would be fortuned by a optionally collapsible menu.

Else I am completely mistaken, which will soon read as to be expected I assume.
    by SamMorris at 19:04 on 25 February 2004
    Which adverts? Oh I see, those ones. I never really noticed them until I read this thread. I am possibly one of the world least observant people, but are they really that bad? Compared to most sites I think they are very discrete. They don't flash at you, pop up all of a sudden when it’s really not a convenient moment, or perform any other obscene gestures.
    by Account Closed at 19:36 on 25 February 2004
    'but are they really that bad?'

I never said they were, I merely stated that it may be a nice added feature for subscription members with smaller screen sizes to be able to have a collapsible menu to increase their main content area size. As being subscription members they are already paying a fee which may or may not subsidise any revenue stream currently being generated by said adverts.

I still seemingly have failed to make the most simplest suggestion either understandable or readable, please forgive and I beg, forget I ever started this thread, that, or read the thread thoroughly, contemplate, maybe read again and then reason to understand the pointers as to why some members, may benefit from not having advertisements when already paying a subscription, if, they choose otherwise.

Else if the previous paragraph is too difficult, do not request the original opinion to be rephrased or respond with misunderstood opinions. There is no delete thread option, I would have used it, promise.
    by Account Closed at 19:44 on 25 February 2004
    P.S. I apologise if the writing style of my previous post comes across harsh or of a disjointed posture. Simply to summarise this thread to avoid any continued confusion....

Could it please be taken into consideration at some later date, to maybe have the left hand menu collapsible, as a preference settable by individual member, as desired.
    by olebut at 08:25 on 26 February 2004
    The subject of the adverts came up when they first appeared and David Bruce identified that he an dhis collegues ha dtaken the decision to display them to help defray some of the cost of running the site and thus keep the devolpment potential but also to keep the subscription costs down.

To provide an option to remove them for certain memebers would defeat the object.

Whilst I take the point in honesty I dont notice them an ddont find them obtrusive.
    by Account Closed at 10:01 on 26 February 2004
    Thank You olebut.
    by Ralph at 10:43 on 26 February 2004
    You mean a kind of "no-frames" option, so that just the main text could appear?

I have to admit to using this a lot on other sites, especially if the text goes beyond about 3k, after which I find it really difficult to read on screen, and prefer being able to print it out.

I think it's great that this site does what it can to keep costs down - that's an obvious benefit to us. But it's an interesting point that it does make some things difficult to read, depending on the screen and browser format...

Perhaps a compromise would be to have the pages available in "printer friendly" format. You wouldn't necessarily have to print it, but it would take all the surrounding frames away. Then, going to the next page, the adverts would come back, so our sponsors wouldn't necessarily feel cheated? Just a thought...

They can be quite entertaining though, those adverts. It's amazing some of the words or phrases they pick up on to link to.

Or is this just me proving the simple things
    philosophy...?

by Account Closed at 21:38 on 26 February 2004
    I think that is a great idea Ralph.