Login   Sign Up 

• Cypriots and their Cultrue
    by mel.c at 01:05 on 25 November 2008
    CYPRIOTS and their CULTRUE

In 1974 I was seven years old, and found myself almost in conflict with continually accruing strikes. I remember these days very clearly, the reasons were the fact that it had an anormas effect on my schooling, I had just started my junior school in Nicosia and were new in town and how hard it was to make friends with middle class Turkish kids. Even dough my Mum gave birth to me in Nicosia I was still classified a as village child therefore was treated like one also. Strikes began when turkey started to give a helping hand to North Cyprus. Somehow Army was needed from mother land to survive the enemy. If only they can take a good look at there selves the only ones that are enemies are the BIG guy’s politicians, If it wasn’t for them today we still be leaving together the way we know best mix culture Turkish Cypriot s would be able to speak Greek and Greeks would be able to speak Turkish language. Unfortunately until Greece and turkey interfered we where in harmony. That’s what I thought was the truth at the time.

We had to evacuate our homes I was still a little girl with confusion, adventure and fear combined in one motion called numbness. I found myself feeling excited because we where going to visit my cousin who i forgotten when I last so her I found myself at there house with my mum but just my mum no one else was there me my cousin and my mum I did find it weird but no one tells you the truth until it’s all over, It lasted three weeks and finally we were aloud to go home. As we approached the doors outside somehow looked unrececknizable. People were running in disbelieve that war was finally over. The trend picked up pretty quick people were emptying the enemy houses searching through for what ever they can get their hands on that was worth a bob or two, but the houses that Greeks got their hands on they were doing the same thing searching though Turkish houses so to be honest Cypriots torture each other senseless if only they taken a step back and realise the only difference between them is the religion! Everything else is the same Food! the way we cook is the same and when it comes to the culture belief in our inland is equal. Today I have published Cypriot recipe book but when I tried to take out which food belonged to Turkish Cypriots and which belong to Greek Cypriots it was such a thin line, as I said before I believe all this conflict arises from politicians and not everyday Cypriots who have been living in harmony all these years.