Login   Sign Up 

• THE CRYING OF THE CHILDREN new novel by PEGGI LENNARD
    by Evelon at 19:07 on 11 June 2012
    Hi. I'm returning to Writewords after an absence of a couple of years. In that time I've written my first novel:
    THE CRYING OF THE CHILDREN, published on Kindle.

SYNOPSIS

It’s 1830 and there is little help for those who need it most.
    But, if everyone could have had their way, Rose would not have died in childbirth and her daughter would have been welcomed into her grandfather’s home.
    Patrick O Neill would not have been paid to take the child to Ireland, fallen to the lure of gin and left her with Bertha Mason.
    Bertha would not have an idiot son, with a tendency to lurk in dark corners. And, when she gave him the ‘bundles’ to throw in the canal, he would not be so afraid of her temper, that he would do exactly as he was told.
    Joseph Skinner would not be so cruel and Maggie Skinner would find the strength she needed to save her granddaughter and her home.
    Jeremiah Mandrake Jnr. would have brought Joseph Skinner to justice and Dr. Daniel Taylor would be able to leave the memory of his wife behind.
    Little Will would not have been found with his faced pressed into the mud and his sister would not have to watch as all their belongings were thrown out of their home and trampled onto the ground.
    Thomas and Lizzie would have been together. And Thomas would not carry the scars of Joseph Skinner’s brutality.
    The sun would, occasionally shine on Paradise Court and Ruth would be able to share her grief with her husband. And her children would wear boots that would keep their feet dry.
    Frederick Perry would looked down sometimes from his great height and realise that being Master of the Workhouse called for charity and understanding as well as good bookkeeping.
    And Hannah, his wife, would be free to dream her dreams and not be afraid to care.
    Edwin Perry, son of Frederick and Hannah, would be found, dead as a nail, in one of the alleys he frequented with the girls he procured from the workhouse.
    And, the child, Rose’s daughter, Maggie’s granddaughter, the baby that Joseph sent away, would be found. Safe and well.
    But this is 1830. Life is hard and death is easy.

There are sample chapters on my blog, so I hope you can find the time to take a look. I would appreciate your feedback.
  • Re: THE CRYING OF THE CHILDREN new novel by PEGGI LENNARD
    by EmmaLouise at 22:23 on 11 June 2012
    It sounds very interesting, but like there is an awful lot of characters. What's your blog address?
    by EmmaD at 10:57 on 12 June 2012
    Hello Evelon - good to see you back. And congratulations on getting your novel out there - it's a fascinating period and place.
    by Evelon at 14:22 on 12 June 2012
    Hello Emma. Thanks for replying. There are a lot of characters, but they don't appear so close together that they cause confusion.
    It's quite a long novel - 104,000 words so there is room for all of them I think.
    There are various locations - Paradise Court, which is the poorest part of the town; the factory itself and the cellar which runs the length of the workshops; the workhouse and the canalside cottage of Bertha Mason, baby farmer.
    There are also the offices of Mandrake and the house where Maggie Skinner has lived all her life and where her battles with her husband are played out.

The first 3 chapters are on my blog:

www.peggilennard.wordpress.com

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I hope you get chance to take a look at the sample and let me know what you think.
    by Evelon at 14:23 on 12 June 2012
    Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I'd forgotten what a good site this is. Not had a lot of time to have a good look around yet, got that planned for tonight while football is on - again!