Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Editorial ethical question
    by Wildcall at 19:31 on 04 January 2007
    Hello! I'm hoping that members here write not only epic philosophical novels, but also the odd magazine article...

I have been invited by a yacht manufacturer to attend the launch of their latest superyacht, and I would like to cover it for magazines. To what extent is it acceptable to seek commissions from more than one magazine?

At the moment I have approached one magazine which I have contributed to in the past, and my thinking is that if they want an in-depth article then I should draw the line there, but if they are interested in only a short piece then it should be possible to approach and write material for other magazines too.

Does this sound a sensible approach, or am I being too conservative? Should I rather just go ahead and contact a range of magazines and seek as many commissions as possible?

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts.
  • Re: Editorial ethical question
    by CarolineSG at 21:10 on 04 January 2007
    Wildcall,
    If you're writing different articles,even about the same thing, then I think it should be fine. You could even flog the same article around if you don't sign any kind of contract, but most publishers make you sign away your life these days anyway. Be warned though, that if it is a small world (and I imagine with this kind writing that it is) then you might royally piss off an editor by doing so, who never uses you again. You can go ahead and contact various magazines of each one is being offered something different.
    I hope this helps - good luck!

<Added>

sorry about the typos...my eyes haven't yet recovered from watching ER!
    by Wildcall at 21:30 on 04 January 2007
    Thank you very much Caroline - that sounds right - I really have to see if I can come up with 2 or 3 (or more) different themes. I should be able to get at least one lifestyle angle out of it, apart from the technical design/industry aspect.

Thanks!
    by Katerina at 08:57 on 05 January 2007
    I know quite a bit about article writing Simon, so I've mailed you.

Katerina