Login   Sign Up 

• Nicking stuff off the telly
    by Murphy at 11:41 on 23 April 2007
    A few years ago there was a wonderfully written epsiode of The Likely Lads. The plot revolved around not hearing a football score so they could watch the highlights without knowing the result. They saw part of a newspaper headline "England F . . ." so they went through all the options England Five, England Fail, England Flop etc . . .

I'd like my character to do the same thing, hear a snatch of a football report "A F . . ." and go through the options. A five four, A fantastic etc.

It's really similar, but only take up a paragraph of the book.

Is it too similar?

<Added>

Takes with my take!

<Added>

After a tadge of research it would have been the seventies, Whatever Happened to the Likely Lad.
  • Re: Nicking stuff off the telly
    by NMott at 12:33 on 23 April 2007
    It is a classic gag, Murphy, which pops up in reworked for every so often - although The Likely Lads did it with marvellous comic timing.
    Feel free to write it how you like.

<Added>

oops typo: reworked form
    by Murphy at 19:38 on 23 April 2007
    I shall lash it in and see if it works or not.

The one I remember is "England Fogbound", so Terry and Bob had wasted their time.

Mines, well, a similar waste of time and effort.

Thanks, Naomi.
    by NMott at 19:58 on 23 April 2007
    I'm sure it won't be a waste, Murphy. You can always post it in the Comedy Forum for comment

<Added>

I'm sure it won't be a waste, Murphy.

Erm, that didn't come out right. :)

<Added>

I'm sure it'll be fine - yeh, that's what I meant to say.
    by RT104 at 07:07 on 30 April 2007
    I always think the thing to do is to make the reference. Make the character be reminded of the Likely Lads episode. he hears the snatch, and thinks 'England F...', God, I hope this isn't going to be like bloody Bob and whatsisname...

Rosy
    by Murphy at 07:54 on 30 April 2007
    Yes, I think you can stretch things quite a bit with this technique. I don’t think you can have “Love, love me do” as a standalone piece of text but I think a character can say “Love, love me do, as the Beatles once said”. (Might be talking tripe!)

In this case my MC would be around six years old when the episode was broadcast, but I’ll remember it for future reference.

It’s drifting a bit but I’ve noticed loads of contemporary fiction using brands, bands, real people and fictional characters to give their work authenticity. I’d really like to use the line “Working like you is like working with the Chuckle Brothers” but I don’t think they’re quite famous enough – mind you by the time I’m in print . . .