Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 26 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • Altered reality
    by geoffmorris at 12:11 on 27 August 2004
    What are peoples thoughts on putting factual details in your stuff, particularly when it *could* be used by the reader. For instance, how to make a bomb or start a fire, how to commit suicide etc. These are extremes I know but if you really want you can find all the details you need on the web or even in the library.

This relates particularly to the details of suicide in Feeling Gravity's Pull and to details of arson in Smoke. I find topics like this fascinating and love to dissect the detail but are there other things to be taken intoc consideration? Just how real can you make something?

We live in a compensation culture and all. What are the ethics?

Geoff
  • Re: Altered reality
    by Account Closed at 14:04 on 27 August 2004
    If it's on the end of a google search, it's valid for inclusion.
    by geoffmorris at 15:21 on 27 August 2004
    Hi IB,

That's my thinking too but I read an author interview the other day in which a publisher suggested changing some details to prevent people using the novel as a manual. Just seemed a bit stupid to me when any person intent on using such information could find it in countless other places.

Geoff

by Silverelli at 16:52 on 27 August 2004
    Use anything, geoff, it don't matter. Those folks are gonna kill themselves no matter what.

I don't think anyone has died as a result of reading The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides.
    by Grinder at 17:09 on 27 August 2004
    I would go for the ultra optimistic what if argument. When you do become a world famous uber-selling novelist the tabloids will be all over you and people will want to sue you for the slightest thing. So don’t take the risk, don’t give them the ammunition they’ll use to shoot you down in the future.

Having said that, you’ll probably have someone who failed to commit suicide trying to sue you for giving rubbish advice.

Seriously, I would go cautious.

Tom Clancy got slated for “Sum of All Fears” and its apparent instructions for making an atomic bomb, later he admitted that the instructions weren’t exactly right, but sounded good.

I’m toying with an idea for a story where the hero makes an incendiary bomb in his garden shed, I’m still wondering if I should make it authentic or just sound right. Given my previous advice I’ll probably just play it safe.

Grinder
    by geoffmorris at 17:27 on 27 August 2004
    Grinder,

Go for it full on. There are thousands of sites that tell you how to make such things, I've just looked at one such manual that told you how to make any type of device you want.

With regards to the atomic device thing, as far as I understand it they're pretty easy to make. Easy only if you can find the raw materials that is! From memory the typical nuclear bomb consists of a spherical outershell of high explosive that is used to collide ultra pure fissionable material at such a speed that nuclear fission is induced.

Still if you had a pound of pure plutonium and ground it into dust you'd have enough to kill 42,000,000,000 people, that's seven times the global population!

Geoff

<Added>

On a totally unrelated note. Looking for plutonium self-fissile on Google gave me a googlewhack! Ofcourse this is probably searched by Google so it's not anymore :(
    by geoffmorris at 17:28 on 27 August 2004
    Grinder,

Go for it full on. There are thousands of sites that tell you how to make such things, I've just looked at one such manual that told you how to make any type of device you want.

With regards to the atomic device thing, as far as I understand it they're pretty easy to make. Easy only if you can find the raw materials that is! From memory the typical nuclear bomb consists of a spherical outershell of high explosive that is used to collide ultra pure fissionable material at such a speed that nuclear fission is induced.

Still if you had a pound of pure plutonium and ground it into dust you'd have enough to kill 42,000,000,000 people, that's seven times the global population!

Geoff
    by Dee at 19:00 on 27 August 2004
    Surely any fiction novel would have a clause somewhere in the opening pages to the effect that it is FICTION?

Take this argument to it’s logical conclusion and you’ll have people suing you because their bombs didn’t go off…

Dee

by Account Closed at 10:47 on 30 August 2004
    Throw in everything, including the kitchen sink. If someone kills themself because of your book, that's just great. Free publicity, your book would sell by the millions.

Your agent would be happy, your publisher would love you, you'd make the newspapers, chat shows, magazines, and TV movies would be made.

Just call it 101 Ways To Kill Yourself - Quick, step-by-step instructions on how to get the job done. Complete with illustrations!

Then a year or two down the line, *NEW AND EXPANDED EDITION*

I'd read it.

Ste
    by old friend at 19:49 on 31 August 2004
    Ste,

I like the idea of a book on '101 ways of killing yourself'.

You can always add a guarantee that each way will work 'as the Author has had 100% success with each method.'

Len
    by geoffmorris at 20:04 on 31 August 2004
    Hi Len,

There are actually a number of sites analysing the various methods that can be employed to bring yourself to a swift end, giving chances of success and andecdotes on common myths! It's pretty ridiculous when you think about it. Some of these sites are obviously trying to be put humour into the subject but never the less the information is accurate. Even down to details like the correct length of rope that should be used to ensure a clean break but not decapitation when hanging yourself.

Geoff
    by anisoara at 20:58 on 31 August 2004
    This may sound sick, but I'd like to have the information to hand myself. If I decide I want to end my life, and whose choice should it be but my own (or of nature), then I should like to be able to go about it as efficiently and as painlessly as possible. So keep your facts straight in your book, Geoff, 'cause I'd hate to botch it up!

Ani ;-)
    by Account Closed at 21:08 on 31 August 2004
    The Book of Bunny Suicides By Andy Riley
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0340828994/qid=1093982332/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_10_1/202-6889014-1447803

This book is so funny! I had a member of Waterstones staff come up to me when I saw this book on the shelf on Christmas Eve, asking me stop laughing. I politely explained to him what books were and how people often laugh on Christmas Eve.

Anyway, yeah, it's a good read and had me laughing out loud.

Ste
    by geoffmorris at 21:55 on 31 August 2004
    Hi Steve, Ani,

Ani I'm actually going to tone down the descriptions, if I include them at all though I've just started sketching out new story called Bodies that will leave you up to your eyeballs in the facts.

Before you deicde to depart this mortal coil though you might want to check out

www.happytreefriends.com

And before you say what the f**k? Take a good look at this site as it it is not what it seems, just don't go showing it to the kiddies if you know what I mean

yay I'm just one post away from having my favourite number!!!!!! Can you guess what it is?

Geoff
    by Dee at 22:11 on 31 August 2004
    Yes! At the moment you're just neighbour of the beast...

Dee
  • This 26 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >