Login   Sign Up 

• Naming publications
    by Sidewinder at 20:53 on 19 May 2008
    Hi everyone,

If you're writing about fictional characters being written about/interviewed in newspapers and magazines, would it be better to make up fictional publications? Would there be any legal implications in using real ones?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

• Re: Naming publications
    by NMott at 22:51 on 19 May 2008
    No idea. If not, maybe you could use a fairly generic name like The Gazette, or The Standard?

- NaomiM
    by susieangela at 08:43 on 20 May 2008
    Depends, I think, on what they're being interviewed about. Anything which might be defamatory or bring disrepute to the publication named, or any of its staff, would be a problem, obviously. A lot of writers seem to make up names which are almost, but not quite, the original - eg The Daily Standard. Having said that, in my wip I've had a (fictional) tv company advertising for women to take part in a makeover programme in The Daily Mail and The Standard - because I think it's quite realistic that they would take such adverts.
    Susiex
    by Sidewinder at 10:14 on 20 May 2008
    Yes, a lot of writers do seem to make up names that mimic the original, and I suppose there must be a reason for that.

The useful thing about using real ones is that they come with automatic associations, but it's probably safest to make up a title that's close enough to make it obvious what sort of publication you're talking about.
    by RT104 at 11:20 on 13 June 2008
    I think if you are saying things in detail about the content of an article I'd make it up. In MTLL I had actual mock newspaper clippings so I renamed the Ipswich Evening Star the 'Ipswich Town Crier' and also had a fictional national tabloid. But in H&M a character hunts for jobs in the Times Higher Ed, and they read about things in the Guardian and the Independent, etc. - just not quoted directly or anything. I think that's fine - loads of books refer to real newspapers.

Rosy

by Luisa at 11:35 on 13 June 2008
    I agree with Rosy, but I'd add that I think a lot of authors make up publication names because it's fun to do.

I've invented publications and celebrities for my second book. Makes me feel very powerful.
    by Account Closed at 12:28 on 14 June 2008
    It is slightly different, but I have my MC consulting self help books quite a few times in my novel. At first, I used the real names of the books I had been reading for research. As my themes developed a bit and it turned out that I was being quite critical (or satirical) of some kinds of self help books, I changed all the titles and any comments to do with their content that made it clear what I actually meant. I think you can still read between the lines in some places, but it isn't a major part of the story and I think you're allowed to have an opinion and take the piss, just not to say outright (for example) that reading The Surrendered Wife (for example) makes people kill their husbands... (for example)

So I think Rosy is right - if it's neutral or even praising, it is fine to use the real names of books and publications. But if it isn't, it is probably better not to...

Jenn
    by Sidewinder at 18:05 on 14 June 2008
    My book has made-up celebrities too, Luisa. It does make you feel a bit god-like, doesn't it? There's a band in my book, for instance, that are the biggest band in Ireland. U2 don't exist.

From what you all say, I think it would be best to make up publications, as it is a bit piss-taking - like your self-help books, LadyB. Your book sounds fun.

by Account Closed at 18:07 on 14 June 2008
    Thank you. It was fun to write, and it was even more fun to read lots of self-help (for research purposes only, of course...)