Login   Sign Up 

• Anyone heard of iUniverse?
    by Dwriter at 13:37 on 24 January 2009
    I keep getting these emails every so often from a company called iUniverse (which is something I clicked on just to give it a look a while back). They keep sending me mails regarding their services, which naturally, you have to pay for. But one of the things they mention is:

at iUniverse, we help literally hundreds of authors achieve their dream of getting published professionally, affordably and fast each month.

I can't help but think that the words "dangle" and "carrot" come to mind. To me, it sounds like another POD service that is bigging itself up to trick new authors in. Or it might not. I'm naturally skeptical about it as why should I have to pay for something, when I could just as easily submit it to a publisher and pay nothing at all?

Does anyone know anything about iUniverse and what they do? Is it something I might want to consider?

<Added>

I can't help but think that the words "dangle" and "carrot" come to mind. To me, it sounds like another POD service that is bigging itself up to trick new authors in.

I just realised that part may have seemed a little harsh and maybe an unfair assessment. I did not intend it to be, I was just speaking about previous companies that I have almost been burned from before. So I apologize if that sentence came across as slanderous, I didn't intend it to be.
  • Re: Anyone heard of iUniverse?
    by EmmaD at 13:44 on 24 January 2009
    Yes, it's a PoD service - nothing wrong with that, of course, as long as they don't promise what they can't perform. But as you know, being published isn't just a matter of printing a book and giving it an ISBN.

Emma
    by Dwriter at 15:28 on 24 January 2009
    But as you know, being published isn't just a matter of printing a book and giving it an ISBN

Couldn't agree more, Emma. I found that out the hard way when I first tried to self-publish! And you're also right about POD, nothing wrong with that at all (in fact I've used lulu in the past and that was ok for what it was).

I had a quick look on the internet about iUniverse and it does look pretty good for what it is. It has a deal with Barnes and Noble (which I believe is the largest book retail in USA, but correct me if I'm wrong). And they did have a book of theres become a New York Times best seller in 2004. But then again, I guess what my point is... do I really want to spend money on them when I could just as easily take it to a publisher or agent?

Plus, I've seen the prices they charge for their services and I really don't have that kind of money at the moment. So another reason to try the publisher/agent process.
    by EmmaD at 16:21 on 24 January 2009
    'A deal with Barnes and Noble' though, can cover a multitude of arrangements, very few of which include B&N putting your book volutarily on their shelves, let alone in their promotions. If it's only that the books can be ordered through them then you're only a little better off than if the only way potential readers can get hold of your books is through your website.

You may already know them, but these guys are usually a good place to look for the low-down on things like this:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/

Emma