Login   Sign Up 

• The Waiting Game
    by Account Closed at 17:41 on 10 March 2005
    Hello fellow wordsmiths

I have somewhat of a quandry. As some of you know, my first novel has been signed up for publication in the USA in...erm...2007.

The problem I have is that my new novel will be finished this year, and I would like to get right on with finding a suitable publsiher/agent for it. The genre is entirely different (first one is an erotic thriller, new one is dark fantasy/sci fi). I will also be publishing my second novel under a psuedonym.

Is this ethical? If I can't seek further publication because I'm already in a contract, surely this is unfair? It means I'm stuck for two years, and this grates on me somewhat.

Any advice?

JB
  • Re: The Waiting Game
    by JoPo at 17:59 on 10 March 2005
    Hi JB - does the contract say you've got to show them your second novel, give them first refusal? If it does, then you have to. But I don't know whether seeking an alternative outlet for a second book under another name would break the terms of the contract. Sounds like one for advice from a lawyer.

Joe
    by JoPo at 18:02 on 10 March 2005
    Hi JB - does the contract you have say you've got to show them your second book, give them first refusal? If it does, then I guess you have to. But I don't know whether seeking an alternative outlet for another book under a different name would break the terms of the contract (under American law?) Sounds like one for a lawyer's advice.

By the way, I just posted this, it went on and then vanished!

Joe

<Added>

And then it came back! Strewth.

Joe
    by Colin-M at 18:09 on 10 March 2005
    Don't use a pseudonym - use your mother's name and let her sign the new contract. You become a ghost writer. This arrangement might be better than ghost writing for a partner or a friend who might, one day, fall out with you and try to keep the dosh.

Is there a lawyer in the house?

Colin M
    by Dee at 18:12 on 10 March 2005
    JB, this is something the Society of Authors could help you with, although you’ll have to join – and it’s not cheap. They will, however, give you expert advice on your position with regard to your contract.

Give it some serious consideration – if you get this wrong the financial fallout could be catastrophic.

Dee
    by Account Closed at 18:31 on 12 March 2005
    I'll make sure I check all the angles, don't worry. The contract does say that they have first refusal on a second novel, but that this agreement can be terminated verbally on either the side of the author or the publisher. I just don't know how relevent that is before the book has even come out!

JB
    by Dee at 18:35 on 12 March 2005
    I would imagine that, if you terminate the contract before the first novel comes out, they simply won’t publish it.

Dee
    x
    by Account Closed at 18:13 on 14 March 2005
    Yeah, it's a tricky one. I guess I'll just have to be up front about it and ask my publisher what they think. I don't think they even publish sci fi or fantasy, which is what TA is really.

Anyhow, I want to try and get a book published in my home country. TA feels very specific to Britain.

JB