Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 18 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 
  • Re: Genes and murder
    by debac at 10:30 on 14 May 2013
    Hi Jem,

I think you're knee-jerking, because I clearly said that that wealth and intelligence don't always go hand in hand and there are many with one and not the other.

However, statistically I would say there is a correlation, for the reasons I gave.

Yes, loads of people are poor and intelligent and loads of people are thick and wealthy. But overall, there are more people who are well-off and intelligent than well-off and thick, and vice versa, IMO.

Are teachers, vicars, social workers, WRITERS, stupid?

Usually not, indeed. I agree. However, when I used the term wealthy I meant comfortably off - not on the breadline, not in poverty, not in the underclass - rather than millionaire. Someone was saying to me the other day how teachers get paid a lot. It's all relative, isn't it? Teachers and social workers do get paid quite a lot more than people who do unskilled, minimum wage work, or the unwaged on benefits. I don't know about vicars... but a friend is married to one and they seem quite comfortable.

I probably shouldn't have used the word wealthy, but I was struggling for the right word. Comfortably off is what I meant, but that's two words.

<Added>

BTW I didn't mean to offend anyone. I find the subject of intelligence is as touchy, often, as that of race.
    by Jem at 10:34 on 14 May 2013
    Yes, I think we are at odds about what s well off and what isn't.
    by debac at 10:58 on 14 May 2013
    Sorry Jem - my fault. In the ranks of the super-rich, all bets are off. I shouldn't have used the word wealthy when I just meant comfortable.
  • This 18 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2