Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 17 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • To review or not to review?
    by Freebird at 11:32 on 17 May 2013
    Okay, I'm reading a novel that is by a debut author, as far as I can make out. I bought it because I read the first chapter and it sounded like a good premise and reasonably well written.

But having bought it, the rest of the writing is just appalling. It's probably the worst written book I've ever read (and just about every single thing I've ever read on WW is better by far in terms of basic writing skills).

If I feel strongly about a book (either yay or nay) I often review it on Amazon, but this would be the very first review for the book. I don't think anyone should waste their money on it, but by the same token I don't want to utterly destroy the confidence of a new author. It should have been edited properly and it just hasn't been, so it's not entirely their fault it's been released like that.

Should I review or not????
  • Re: To review or not to review?
    by VioletInk at 12:45 on 17 May 2013
    Hullo,

My first ever post, this is

I'd go ahead and review it. Were there any good points, in terms of plot, characters etc? Spread the sweet jam on the crusty bread, so to speak. Perhaps make the point about the first chapter being great but that the 'editing' lets it down later.

I find with reviews that you can be honest, but still let authors and artists keep their dignity. I always ask myself 'Would I be mortified and embarassed if I read this about me?' that usually serves as my 'compass!'

Totally intrigued to know which novel it is now...
    by EmmaD at 12:54 on 17 May 2013
    Oh ow! ow! ow!

That's such a tough one.

And although I do see why you want to say "Don't waste your money" to other possible readers, of caveat emptor.

I think in your place I'd

a) hold my fire until a couple of other reviews are there, to dilute mine a bit.

b) do as I do with my really weak students: first, look for what I can honestly reward (as you say - interesting premise, engaging first chapter) and then stay very specific about the flaws so it's not a global "this is a bad book, don't waste your money," but "the writing doesn't do the exciting subject justice, as it's very flat and un-evocative, and so I didn't find I cared very much about the characters or their problems."

c) Use the TLS classic phrase: "The author has not been well-served by her publisher..." with details of whatever it is which the publisher should have got right. The author will still feel bad, but only by association.

You never know: once Debut Author has recovered s/he can actually learn from specifics of that sort - if only not to use that publisher again!

<Added>

Crossed with VioletInk - welcome to WW! Great name, too.

'And although I do see why you want to say "Don't waste your money" to other possible readers, caveat emptor.'

by Astrea at 14:57 on 17 May 2013
    My first (admittedly uncharitable!) thought is, who's she been published by? If they take any old thing, will they take mine?! Beginning to think that's the sort of interest I need...

Okay, unkind. I think I'd echo Emma - I'd be circumspect with the wording, so that the very first review up there doesn't feel too negative. And as VioletInk says, if there are any positives, give them a good billing. But the review system is meant to let people express honest opinions, and I think it's perfectly reasonable for you to review it.

The star system always bothers me on Amazon - people seem to expect 5 stars, somehow. There are plenty books I've bought and enjoyed that I'd be happy to give 4 stars to, but 5 feels as though it ought to be reserved for something really, amazingly special - for me, 4 stars means, 'I enjoyed this book, it was a good read', but I'm not sure that's how it's received.

How would you rate this book, star-wise?

by wordsmithereen at 16:16 on 17 May 2013
    I, too, have bought books on the strength of the opening paragraphs or chapter, only to regret it. It seems that some writers put their all into the first chapter and then slacken off - and their editors/publishers allow it. Just enough to hook you? It clearly works.

As for reviewing this novel, I would say, speak your mind - without being unnecessarily brutal, which I'm sure you wouldn't be. Anyone who's got as far as being published needs to be able to take criticism, IMO.
    by Shika at 19:56 on 17 May 2013
    I say if you cant say something nice, say nothing at all. S
    by AlanH at 12:18 on 19 May 2013
    As for reviewing this novel, I would say, speak your mind - without being unnecessarily brutal, which I'm sure you wouldn't be. Anyone who's got as far as being published needs to be able to take criticism, IMO.

Totally agree.
    Be honest.
    I think 'kind' words are often deluding words.

by SandraD at 15:43 on 19 May 2013
    If they take any old thing, will they take mine?!

Oh dear, Astrea, and the same thought went through my mind

But this isn't the first time I've come across sparkling first chapter/dross thereafter (and my first three are pretty damn wonderful!) so are some editors not properly doing their job? Or was the book self-published?

I'd agree with Emma D's advice - and console myself with the fact that at least the charity shops will benefit.
    by Account Closed at 18:29 on 19 May 2013
    Personally, I wouldn't review. Not a debut with no other reviews. If they were an established name or if there were a lot of misleading reviews on there, or loads of unjustified hype, maybe. But shooting down someone no-one has ever heard of? I wouldn't.

But like I said, that's just my personal feeling.

<Added>

Is the publisher one who should have had the resources to do better btw? Just being curious/nosey
    by wordsmithereen at 19:06 on 19 May 2013
    But no-one's talking about shooting them down. Just an honest review with the sharp edges smoothed off.
    by Account Closed at 19:11 on 19 May 2013
    Yes but they'll feel shot down. There are only so many ways you can say "this book's a stinker" and none of them feel nice from the author's end, no matter how tactfully phrased.

Someone will do it - if it's that bad, someone will say so. I just wouldn't want it to be me AND their very first review.

But like I said, that's a personal feeling

by EmmaD at 21:39 on 19 May 2013
    I wouldn't let it be the first review - I'd wait till there were a few others. Otherwise, I do agree, it's just too brutal.
    by cacooper at 22:03 on 19 May 2013
    Ooh what's the book? I probably wouldn't review it. But I know how you feel.
    by AlanH at 02:01 on 20 May 2013
    I don't know this case, and don't want to know, but I take the general view that a few honest words at an early stage spare anguish later on.
    What may seem cruel could be the greatest kindness.
    by Jaytee Conner at 09:29 on 20 May 2013
    Can you not reveal the name of the book?

I agree with most of the other comments. You should give honest feedback & try to devastate but if there are things that are glaringly wrong they have to be mentioned.

When I read reviews on Amazon I often look at the 3 star reviews first because they are the most accurate. 5 stars is just people gushing and they often don't have a critical sense, unless almost every review is a 5 star and then I think, this is a good book.

Similarly, 1 star reviews are not very accurate and usually contain angry reviewers who didn't like the story or characters for some irrational reason.

So maybe give a well considered 3 star.

If you can't give us the name of the book, can you give us genre, length, setting??
    Very curious.
  • This 17 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >