Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 16 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • Award winning novelist refuses award
    by Anna Reynolds at 16:22 on 21 November 2003
    Have you heard about this? have a look in News. Multi award winning writing Hari Kunzru wins the John Llewelyn Rhys award for his debut novel- and refuses to accept the £5k prize, because it's sponsored by two newspapers he feels have fanned the flames of hatred towards asylum seekers and refugees. The sponsors have agreed to donate the prize fee to the Refugee Council, probably slightly against their will.... A great way to make a political statement and publicise your work at the same time! what with DBC Pierre, Booker winner, becoming infamous for his past, this is an intriguing awards season..
  • Re: Award winning novelist refuses award
    by Elspeth at 17:16 on 21 November 2003
    Yes, spotted that in the paper earlier today - good on him for sticking to his principles.
    I heard they were going to donate his prize as he requested and then re-issue it to someone else from the short-list. Not sure I'd want to be second choice, but then I guess £5000 is a lot of money.

Katie
    by Anna Reynolds at 17:53 on 27 November 2003
    Now the leading poet/playwright/generally fabulous all rounder Benjamin Zephaniah has refused an OBE, very publicly, and has been frank in his reasons why. What is happening to writers all of a sudden? I'm pleased myself to see them having a strong profile for political, not just personal, reasons. Is there a whiff of uprising in the air? Who's going to come out fighting next? JK Rowling giving her royalties back?
    by Account Closed at 17:16 on 01 December 2003
    Zephania is a medieval racist fool. The only notable point his idiotic diatribe has brought up is that OBE is a misnomer.

What a twonk.
    by Dee at 17:27 on 01 December 2003
    I heard Zephaniah interviewed on the radio and, I hate to say this but, I'm inclined to agree with you, IB. I don't mean I hate to agree with you but I dislike finding myself on this side of the fence.
    He may have the best of intentions but his viewpoint is stuck in a past we are all trying to move on from. Yes, I know it's easy for me to say that. I have lived in England at least since Saxon times. But we can not go on flaggelating ourselves for the outrages perpetrated by our ancestors. The sins of the fathers should not be visited upon the children. I abhor racism and sexism and every form of discrimination but I refuse to be punished for something my ancestors did.

Dee.
    by Becca at 11:14 on 07 December 2003
    What does OBE mean? Object of the British Empire? Perhaps to those who've refused, it does mean that. I think the whole idea of an OBE is slightly bizzare, like children getting gold stars at school. Similar problem between Mick Jagger and his mate at the moment as well.
    by old friend at 11:43 on 07 December 2003
    The 'O' means 'Order'... the sort of things Generals do, often resulting in the loss of many lives for which the Generals are presented with more medals.

What's this about Mick Jagger? I envy his good looks that attract so many women... I'm thinking about cosmetic surgery but I can't afford it? How about a destitute Mick Jagger lookalike... the girls would flock!

Len.

<Added>

...just wanted to try my first 'Added'

<Added>

This is a sensible 'Added'... there is hardly a Nation, Tribe, Sect, Community or Group of every colour and every persuasion whose Ancestors have not dominated, slaughtered, enslaved, oppressed other Groups. We see this so much even in today's 'enlightened' world.
    by Becca at 12:13 on 07 December 2003
    Yes, of course it means order, and what about MBE, master, matron?
    Mick Jagger's due to recieve one and his mate who is even better looking, the one who looks like rubber, is saying that's not what the stones were about, because it would make them look like they were part of or approved of the society they lived in.
    by old friend at 12:53 on 07 December 2003
    That means 'Member'. Thanks for the info about Mick Jagger. I've never met a rubber woman... the mind boggles...

by Becca at 13:17 on 07 December 2003
    Man, Len, Keith Richards, I think.
    by word`s worth at 16:00 on 07 December 2003
    Hi all,

Newbie, so be gentle ;-) I must say that I admire anyone who is willing to stand by their convictions and principles no matter what field or business they're in. It brings to focus how some people feel that entertainers/artists/now writers shouldn't voice their political opinions and stick to what they're paid to do. I think mainly of the last Oscars when I say this. I think that if you're in a publicly powerful position to bring into focus something you feel so strongly about that is being swept under the carpet or distorted by the powers that be then you should be applauded and not knocked down. Perhaps as writers we can do justice to these issues through our work, but will anyone want to read it? So if you get the chance to let your voice be heard then well done to you :-)
    by word`s worth at 16:07 on 07 December 2003
    I thought Mick Jagger asked for his OBE ceremony to be postponed to another date so he wouldn't be upstaged by the other guy...can't remember his name now LOL...shows how much attention I was paying to THAT news article. What I did hear correctly, is that 'the palace' agreed! How utterly ridiculous, if that's the case. I'm really not into this thing where 'celebrities' are given OBE's/Knighthoods etc just for being celebrities. It really does show what a celebrity obsessed society we've become when even 'the palace' gets into the throes of celebrity adulation.
    by Becca at 16:21 on 07 December 2003
    I think you're right, he rejected it many times, and then decided this time round to take it, that's what's probably annoyed Keith. I agree about the celebrity thing, deeply purile, just like TV is these days.
    by Account Closed at 11:24 on 08 December 2003
    I have to say that I thoroughly disagree with "celebrities" and other politically disillusioned morons using moments of positive publicity to promote their view of the world. I recall some indy pop band picking up an award shortly before the Iraq conflict flared up using their moment on the mic to denounce George Bush's foreign policy. Now I'm no great fan of the way GWB has been running his country, but having some half-stoned philistine swagger up and say "Bush is trying to take over the world.... maaaaan" does nothing but make a mockery of his point anyway.

Moving this same point back to Zephania, who denounces the British Empire (which obviously doesn't actually exist) for trading slaves, despite the fact that the idea was inspired by the African people themselves, who had been doing it to their own people for millennia.

That the 'Empire' of course outlawed slavery and actually for a time acted as the world police against slavery obviously doesn't enter the man's tunnel-vison view of the world either.

Sorry if I'm ranting, but poets aren't politicians, neither are rock stars or actors (with a couple of notable exceptions of course), and the fatuous idiots that use every glance from a camera to stick up picket signs, and scream nonsensical half-wit musings every time a microphone is in earshot are an absolute disgrace and they should be publicly flayed and made to roll around in huge buckets of salt.
    by Becca at 14:01 on 08 December 2003
    Didn't think I'd be able to divert you for long IB. I had a go though.
    Becca.
  • This 16 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >