Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Copywrite
    by gkay at 10:17 on 12 December 2005
    Hi - I did a search on this forum on this topic and found a couple of interesting threads, but couldn't find an answer to this question, which is - I notice some people write Copywrite, name etc. etc at the end of their piece. Would this indicate that they have in fact had it copywrited, or is it just something people do to scare away potential plagiarists?

I have read within this forum that all uploaded work is date and time stamped, which is heartening to hear. Presumably this would take care of problems should a conflict arise between two people both claiming ownership of a piece?

I regard myself as someone who is not a beginner but someone who is somewhere along that line between being displeased with what I'm writing and totally satisfied with it (as if that will ever happen). I can see this question raising it's head more often as I become happier with the things I'm producing.

I wonder how much of the work uploaded on this site is work that has already been submitted to a publisher or entered into a competition, thereby having had copywrite established.

Sorry for the disjointed thread. I'm thinking out loud a little here - I have had no experience as yet with publishers or indeed entering competitions so have no knowledge of this side of writing.
  • Re: Copywrite
    by Katerina at 12:50 on 12 December 2005
    It is entirely up to you.

Some people like to put the little copyright symbol and their name and year at the end of their writing, some people dont bother.

The moment you put pen to paper, you have the copyright to that piece, and any decent editor, publisher isn't going to nick your work, it's not worth their reputation.

The other side of it is retaining your copyright. It's advisable that you dont sell your copyright, but you sell the serial rights ie. first British serial rights, second British serial rights, first American serial rights etc. That way you still own the work, you never know when you might need it, for example a production company might want to make a film of your story.

Get yourself a copy of 'The Writers' & Artists' Yearbook if you want more inforamtion on copyright, libel etc.

Hope this helps
    Kat
    by gkay at 13:06 on 12 December 2005
    That does help. Thank you for your input. Sounds like I need to do a little research.

Cheers
    Guy
    by Colin-M at 13:43 on 12 December 2005
    There are lots of ways to prove copyright, if it's something that should ever be disputed. The simplest is to send a copy of the script to yourself by registered post and never open it. Putting the copyright symbol and year doesn't actually protect it, and there is no way to register it (other than sending copies to the british library at the point of publication - but that's for publishers to do), but what it does to, is inform anyone wanting to buy the rights, who owns them.

and so, I might as well cap this off with copyright2005colin mulhern

Colin M