Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Copyright in general
    by Nickhorrox at 09:36 on 24 January 2004
    Hi all. I'm new to this writing lark, so forgive my naivete. I'm working on various things at the mo (aren't we all?), screenplay, some comedy sketches and a sitcom. I want to submit some sketches to various production companies but am worried about them simply nicking my ideas and producing them without my knowledge or indeed acknowledging my authorship.

Does anyone have any views on this? How do we protect ourselves as authors? I know the old one about sending oneself something in the post - but I think this is a bit of a myth. Any comments? Any help woukld be gratefully received...
  • Re: Copyright in general
    by Dee at 10:05 on 24 January 2004
    No, Nick, it isn't a myth. Post your work to yourself by special delivery in a tamper-proof envelope and DON'T OPEN IT.
    The idea is that you have a sealed, postmarked copy. The postmark is proof that the work was in existence and in your posession on that date so anyone else claiming it as theirs would have to provide proof that they had an earlier version.

Dee.
    by Jubbly at 10:09 on 24 January 2004
    Remember you can't copyright an idea. There is no proof that they were inspired by your initial work, no matter what you say. I know this first hand, but obviously if it's word for word you've got a case.

Jubbly
    by Anna Reynolds at 11:38 on 24 January 2004
    The Script Factory have the answer- a Script Registration Service. Have a look at Script Factory - they're an excellent resource for screenwriters full stop. As Julie says, you can't copyright ideas, so you have to grow a thick-ish skin, and protect what you can.
    by Dee at 14:33 on 24 January 2004
    Jubbly is right in saying that ideas can't be copyrighted and neither can titles. Scripts and manuscripts don't need to be word for word identical. I think the phrase used is 'substantially similar'. This gives the copyright holder some leeway to edit and rewrite. For instance, about a year ago I printed out a copy of the first novel I wrote. Since then I have added bits, deleted some, corrected puctuation errors, rewritten huge sections. In one sense it is vastly different to the original (improved I hope!) but it is obviously the same novel so I'm confident the copyright is secure.

Dee.
    by word`s worth at 23:20 on 24 January 2004
    I thought titles were copyright. I can't call my book Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone for example...can I? I wanted to call the ms I'm submitting something else, but I discovered that it was already the title of a book, albeit, a non-fictional one - so I left it.
    by Dee at 09:10 on 25 January 2004
    The novel I’m trying to get published at the moment is called Driving Force. I’ve recently discovered that Dick Francis published a book in the early nineties with the same name. The title has also been used by Michael Schumacher for his autobiography and by others for non-fiction books about, among other things, magnets and coffee. I checked with my agent about it and he said not to worry.

It’s not considered good form to publish a book too soon after another one with the same title, especially if it has a similar theme but, apparently, after a few years distance it’s acceptable. Having said that, I’m still trying to think of an alternative title for mine.

Perhaps I could call it EXIT 21… eh? Waddya think?? Got a familiar ring to it already…

ee.

psst... Jumbo John's not around this morning is he

<Added>

Ooo... he is!!! Only joking, John!
    ;)
    by old friend at 14:10 on 25 January 2004
    The Script Factory will cost you £35 (about) to hold onto your sealed envelope for three years. Your Bank or your Solicitor may cost you more (or nothing). However the sealed envelope suggestion is the prime evidence.

This question of copyright does come up often and it is obviously a source of concern to all writers. This worry that someone might pinch your ideas and/or work goes far beyond the world of writers and when I was giving advice on protecting business ideas as well as intellectual property I found this the Number One thought when the Entrepreneur had a truly original business idea.

Of course we have the Patent Office and the pathways to establishing copyright but the big question is what you do when it is obvious that someone has stolen your ideas or infringed your copyright? Of course you must take steps to protect your work, but writers are thieves and unconsciously steal from everything they experience. Yes, protect your work but don't worry about it being stolen.

Len
    by Nickhorrox at 12:57 on 27 January 2004
    Thanks all for your advice. I'll go away and mull. I guess it's just a matter of taking as much precaution as possible and biting the bullet. I suppose no-one's going to read my stuff at all if I don't get it off my hard drive...Thanks again everyone.

Nick

<Added>

By the way, Dee, have you tried putting the title of your novel through the spellchecker for a laugh? I got some brilliant titles the other day when I was trying to find a good excuse to not write anything! Hive fan.