Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 37 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1   2  3 
  • Re: Class-ism?
    by Account Closed at 13:33 on 20 February 2004
    Either way, I don't see the point in certain books being given additional marketing funds depending on where they're based.

Ooh, looky, a book based in the town I live in. I think I may now dance naked in the streets, singing hallelujah and fervently sputtering my foamy drool over unsuspecting passers by.

Don't see it happening.
    by bluesky3d at 14:16 on 20 February 2004
    I see from their web site that Nottingham County council offer the following -

Support for professional and amateur writers

training sessions
    workshops on how to get into print
    women writers conferences
    assistance with programming
    promotion of regional writers

I do not agree with sexism either and don't see why women writers should be supported and men not.

<Added>

as you're a middle class man IB, you don't stand a chance ;o)
    by Account Closed at 14:30 on 20 February 2004
    Sexism is everywhere.
    From "Ladies nights" in pubs and public baths, to women only insurance companies.

Daren't speak out against it, because that's chauvinism, and you daren't counter it by creating "men's only" equivalents, because that's outright sexism, and a blatant contravenion of women's rights.

<Added>

And I resent the implication that I am in any way 'middle-class'
    by bluesky3d at 15:04 on 20 February 2004
    Yes IB, I added that with tongue-in-cheek of course…

It is as objectionable to be labelled middle-class as it is objectionable, for any work of fiction to be categorised as middle-class, and therefore be eliminated on those grounds from consideration as to it’s merit, for whatever purpose.

<Added>

'a book based in the town I live in. I think I may now dance naked in the streets, singing hallelujah and fervently sputtering my foamy drool over unsuspecting passers by.'
    ... I think you could be onto a winner their IB! ;o)
    by Daisy at 15:12 on 20 February 2004
    I totally agree with you on that IB - it is *so* hypocritical to attempt to deny men the right to have men-only clubs (whether smoking, drinking or golf etc) and at the same time promote women-only events and organisation.

I'm all for men-only things - I'm just against the fact that my other half never goes to them and so I never get the house to myself....
    by Friday at 15:27 on 20 February 2004
    Good one Daisy.

Hee Hee,
    Dawn,
    by halfwayharry at 15:13 on 17 April 2004
    You have opened a very interesting debate and one that is close to my heart. I consider myself to be a product of the British underclass. My family moved around the UK and at around the age of ten we lived in the North of England for four years. This was back in the seventies. We had originally lived in a rented house in a mainly middle class area but were allocated council accommodation a few miles away in less salubrious surroundings. However, the school that I had registered with allowed me to remain with them in the middle class area. They did me a big favour, I really didn't want to go to the local school. This gave me the opportunity to see how the middle classes lived. I made many friends and in a way lived two lives. One on the estate and one in the suburbs.

My aspirations since that time were middle class. I would now desbribe myself as living a 'middle class' lifestyle. I dislike snobbery of any variety whether it is 'Hyacinth Bucket' or inverted. I have worked with people for a long time in social work and now in the probation service. Naturally, most of my colleagues hail from the middle classes. One thing that I am certain about is that humanity and an interest in people override racial or class based origins in dealing with people effectively. I am sure that this is the same in writing. My favourite writer is George Orwell who was (I think) upper, middle class but tried to understand the world around him.

It is always essential that we strive to eradicate prejudice and we should start with a serious examination of ourseleves. We should also attempt to acheive fair representationin the workplace. Sorry to rant but it's something I feel stronly about.
  • This 37 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1   2  3