Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 78 message thread spans 6 pages:  < <   1  2  3   4   5   6  > >  
  • Re: Spitballing
    by Jumbo at 14:51 on 10 March 2004
    IB

Just picked up on this one. Apparently in this PC world 'brainstorming' is a non-word, like 'manhole cover', 'blackboard' and 'niggardly'.

So, I guess us non-PC's might call it 'brainstorming', but not if you work for a local governemnt and value your job!

John
    by Friday at 14:54 on 10 March 2004
    I can't believe I am writing this but I agree with IB, Spitballing...NAH!
    Dawn,x
    by Elspeth at 16:31 on 10 March 2004
    Well, call it what you will, I'm open to suggestions. I didn't realise brainstorming was non-pc but it just irritated me as a word. Makes me think either of school or middle management boardrooms. Anyway, apart from the name, does anyone else have any ideas on Anisoara's story?!

K
    by Dee at 16:37 on 10 March 2004
    I like spitballing...

Just catching up with this thread. First reactions: what’s the iridescent tubular thing? Why does it smell bad? What does the note say?

Dee.

<Added>

Or am I being incredibly stupid for not working out the answers already?

x
    by Jumbo at 17:02 on 10 March 2004
    I'm not sure what the rules are here! So I'm probably about to break every one of them.

My initial reaction is that there aren't enough clues embedded in this piece at the moment. If this is to be a collaborative move forward (is that the idea? I don't know!) we all need the same information. If we have to keep asking questions and Ani has to keep saying things like, Well, there is this you need to know, I don't think we can progress.

It's almost as if we all need the plot line, the back story, the character details before we can move.

'Cause if it is a brain ( I didn't get that) what is the iridescent tubular thing?

Have I upset enough people now? I'll stop here!

Jumbo
    by anisoara at 17:09 on 10 March 2004
    Well, there really is no plot or back story. It's fair game, and you can make with it what you will. Anything can be changed. It's really just a starting point.

I guess the only real back story is how it came to be written. We were writing to the prompt 'the attic of my mind'. I started thinking about all the stuff we stow away in our heads - what we'd like to forget, what's just kind of hanging around in our memories and pops up[ from time to time, maybe the bad stuff that comes out when we wish it wouldn't (our shadow selves), etc.

I thought wouldn't it be fun to put some elves up there to do a little housekeeping. Could I say solipsistic housekeeping without getting booted in the backside? I just love that word, that's all.

But after that, I just don't know. It's really just a premise. As Katie said earlier, it could go just about anywhere. And anything I have said about it just happens to be what I have said. I don't feel at all proprietorial about this chunk, so feel free to carve it up and sew on whatever you want.

Ideas?

Ani

<Added>

Oh, yeah, the iridescent tubular thing everyone keeps asking about. It can be something else. It's supposed to be a hotdog that's moulded over 34 years, that's all! I thought the mould might be a rainbow of colours by now!
    by Elspeth at 17:54 on 10 March 2004
    I agree that a 34 year old hotdog isn't necessarily the first thing to come to mind with that phrase!

Jumbo's right that we all need to have the same information so that we don't have to repeat the same questions over and over. So here's a summary so far...

This is the opening to a short story that Ani started to write until it died on her. All we're looking for are any other ideas about where she could take it. The central premise is that two little elves go around tidying people's minds. What this involves exactly and how it's done are open to interpretation at this point. But any ideas about how the elves work, about what to do with unwanted/bad memories etc are welcome, along with any suggestions for the plot itself.

Does that make sense?

Just chuck some stuff into the ol' spittoon; any random thoughts, ideas or questions that might spark some inspiration. It's not meant to be a detailed criticism of what she's already got, it's more about where she's going to take it next.

Arghhh - sorry, don't mean to sound patronising, just worried people were getting confused!!!

And if anyone else needs a hand with something then throw it out there and let's see what happens!

K
    by Dee at 18:23 on 10 March 2004
    As a vegetarian, I don’t do the hotdog thing but, if I did, I certainly wouldn’t shove it into my brain…

How about this… the cylinder is an idea the brain’s owner had many years ago but has never followed through. (writing a novel, opening a bar in Spain, changing sex, kidnapping someone, whatever)

These two little gizmos read all about it – in the note – and decide to do it themselves, using the brain’s owner for the practical bits…

Pass the wine, somebody…

Dee

by Jumbo at 18:26 on 10 March 2004
    Dee

Do you mean the elves open the wine bar, or change sex, or whatever, or they influence the brain owner to do it - and (s)he can't work out why it is - all of a sudden - they feel compelled to follow through what they thought was an old, abandoned idea?

J x
    by Dee at 18:37 on 10 March 2004
    Well… they could either compel the brain to do what they want against its wishes – which would lead to all sorts of complications – or they make the brain think it’s just regurgitated the old idea… but then they could influence it to do what they want…

I dunno… hell I’m having a weird day here… I’m actually cooking!

Dee

<Added>

I think they’d need the body attached to the brain to make their plan work…

Unless… they do it themselves but con the brain into actually thinking it’s happening… virtual reality.

;)

Veggie stew - in case anyone's interested.
    by Friday at 18:48 on 10 March 2004
    I dunno… hell I’m having a weird day here… I’m actually cooking!

What a fantastic line. Can I use it?

Dawn,x
    by Jumbo at 18:49 on 10 March 2004
    I think they should influence the brain to do what they want it to do - and of course that may not be what the person would choose to do themselves. So they could get the person into all sorts of difficulties by persuading them to make inappropriate choices. eg you could have some hunky(?) young streetwise guy keep chatting up 90 year old women. He doesn't want to do it. But he just can't help himself!

J

<Added>

Ooops! Think these crossed over somewhere!
    by Friday at 19:03 on 10 March 2004
    Hiya,
    Working on the subconscious/shadow side mentioned earlier in the thread is an excellent idea. It’s something that everyone can relate to and fear. How about good and bad elves, get two points of view.
    Dawn,x

Jumbo - ‘keep chatting up 90 year old women’ - is there something you’d like to share.
    by Jumbo at 19:08 on 10 March 2004
    What? (Other than I'm a 90 year old woman?)
    by Dee at 19:12 on 10 March 2004
    Dawn... you're welcome to it!

• This 78 message thread spans 6 pages:  < <   1  2  3   4   5   6  > >