Login   Sign Up 

This 36 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1   2  3 
  • Re: Depression as inspiration
    by amnesia at 14:26 on 17 March 2004
    Hello Tez,
    I think in those situations, when you get wound up over anything and everything and can't let it go, it really does help to write it all down even if you throw what you've written away. Even if its in the form of lists.

Guilt toward your partner causes more stress, but it may help if you can put a better perspective on things by writing them down.

Please don't apologise. It's not one bit boring.

Amnesia
    x
    by EmiliaDG at 16:55 on 17 March 2004
    I seem to have found this thread rather late after a flurry of responses! For many years I found that depression was the driving force behind my writing but then, not that long ago, I got happy! At first I thought that might be the end of my creativity but actually it wasn't (though there was a blocked period). I am probably more prolific now and my writing is less self-indulgent but also maybe less poetic. I absolutely can't write poetry unless I am depressed!

I think depression can really drive the writing urge forward. Funnily enough, I wrote a thesis at uni about madness in art and the fact that so many great artists and writers suffered some form of mental illness.

I also think that all art forms are incredibly therapeutic and have great value in dealing with depression and perhaps in curing it.
    by RachelSparrow at 22:03 on 10 April 2004
    I definatly think depression helps! I had a depressed period when I was about 12-13, and I wrote some of my best poetry then. I can't wrte poetry at all now. oh well.

Rachel
    by RachelSparrow at 22:03 on 10 April 2004
    I definatly think depression helps! I had a depressed period when I was about 12-13, and I wrote some of my best poetry then. I can't wrte poetry at all now. oh well.

Rachel
    by Dee at 22:53 on 10 April 2004
    Rachel, get that thought out of your head right now!

I didn't write for years because I used to think like that and now I regret the wasted time.

You CAN write when you're not depressed. It may be different but it's still writing. Keep going and you'll get into the habit of being able to write anytime, regardless of how you feel.

Good luck.

Dee.
    by Account Closed at 17:52 on 12 April 2004
    I'm in agreement, though like Emilia, my writing has definately become lighter in tone. My novel was written out of the sheer bitterness of a terrible relationship, and had the scurrilous events not happened, I don't think I'd have been moved enough to put pen to paper in the first place.

Now, feeling much better and emarking upon a healthier relationship, I am also finding the humour in my voice. It's a carthartic experience, this writing gaff.

James x
  • This 36 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1   2  3