Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Friendly inspiration
    by Grinder at 15:33 on 22 March 2004
    Recently I took the plunge and told friends and family that I was hoping to become a published author. However liberating this was, it has had a side effect that I didn’t expect.
    Many of my friends want me to base characters on them. Is this normal?

Is this a good or a bad thing to do?

Grinder
  • Re: Friendly inspiration
    by Bergkamp at 15:47 on 22 March 2004
    Dear Grinder,
    I have puposely steered away from subjects that my family - never mind friends - think they can identify themselves in. I am trying to avoid the obvious fall outs etc that this can bring.

As far as actually being asked to be put in a book....I would be very wary. However, you are writing this book, not them. So, if the cap fits...Buut seriously, though, I am more inclined to use portraits of peoplke who are not part of my circle of family and friends. having said that, so far in the story I am writing, all the characters are entirely fictious. That appraoch can also have its pitfalls, though as well, I guess.

I agree that it is n unexpected reaction, to say the least. Proceed with caution!

Nick
    by Dee at 16:47 on 22 March 2004
    Grinder,

This is normal. This is abnormal.

I read in a book somewhere (Carole Blake’s I think) that, once you ‘come out’ as a writer, your family and friends immediately divide into two camps: those who are miffed because they think they are not in your book and those who are miffed because they think they are.

The trick is to amalgamate characteristics into your characters so that real people are not quite sure if it’s them or not – then they can put their own interpretation on whatever you write. Hopefully this will keep them happy! And off your back while you get on with your writing.

Good luck,

Dee.
    by Grinder at 16:59 on 22 March 2004
    That seems to be the case, the two camps I mean, interesting isn’t it.

However, one friend of mine wants me to write him in as a murderer? Now he’s got me worried.

Grinder
    by anisoara at 17:00 on 22 March 2004
    Hi!

I don't know if it's normal or abnormal, but what Dee says sounds highly likely!

For my part, no one seems to be interested at all in the fact that I am writing. I suppose I am miffed a bit about that! I would much rather have them want to be my characters.

Ani
    by Al T at 18:30 on 22 March 2004
    Grinder, it's not friends I'm worried about, more a couple of people I've crossed swords with in the past who may see my book as attacking them. However, I'm hoping that if I ever get to the publishing stage, a lawyer would be able to advise me whether there's anything said people could do about their anger. At the moment, I'm struggling with how to avoid the possibility with being sued for liable, versus not wanting to take all the bite out of my book.

Good luck keeping your friends happy!

Adele.
    by Al T at 18:44 on 22 March 2004
    Think I meant 'libel' - hope your friends don't sue you!
    by Account Closed at 18:27 on 06 April 2004
    Part of the way to protecting yourself is that bit at the front of the novel which states 'This book is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to people, living or dead, is purely coincidental etc etc...' or words to that affect.

As writers, life influences us, so I reckon it's only natural to have some characters in a story who are vaguely (or otehrwise) based on real people. But I'd never personally admit to it, and how would they prove it anyway?

My novel, if published, stands a good chance of offending certain people. Hell, maybe they deserve it! The whole damn thing was written as a carthartic act of revenge anyway. They'll never be able to prove it, and I've since aspired to sunnier climes and happier influences.