Login   Sign Up 

This 31 message thread spans 3 pages: 1  2   3  > >  
  • A notebook full of short stories -- Raymond Carver suggestion
    by anisoara at 13:38 on 31 May 2004
    I don't remember who Raymond Carver had suggested this to, maybe Stephen Dobyns, but he suggested that he take a notebook and write a title for a short story on every page, and then just keep adding a line here and there and here and there util, eventually, he'd have ... 60? ... stories!

I was so impressed with the idea, I promptly filled out a notebook with numbers (have to start somewhere, like naming your baby before it's born), and colouring the numbers in with different glitter gel pens and other beautiful writing tools, and even some of my titles.... It's harder coming up with names than I was expecting, because I want the titles to inspire me. But, the notebook of stories is a living thing now! Although, since I am extraordinarily slow, thinking about my writing more than actually writing my writing, I expect it will be a few years before I fill up the book.........

Anyone else heard of this or tried it? Anyone think it's nuts? Or a good idea? Just curious!

Ani

• Re: A notebook full of short stories -- Raymond Carver suggestion
    by Dee at 13:47 on 31 May 2004
    I think it’s a great idea, Ani. It’s a bit like my list of opening lines (which is where RLG originated – watch out… it’s June 1st tomorrow… hope SueH is chewing her pencil end off right now!)

But I hadn’t thought of giving them a page each in a notebook… great… I’ll do that.

Cheers
    Dee.

ps - are we the only two on here this afternoon?

by Sue H at 14:09 on 31 May 2004
    I'm here! Mopping the sweat from my brow as I try and think of a line for tomorrow! I like that idea Ani. I could use it for titles. I really really cannot come up with titles. Makes the RLG look like a breeze (and you should see my rejected opening lines!).

Am about to start a major major total re-write, bordering on starting the whole thing again for my children's novel so may well disappear for a while after the RLG. Actually that should read OUGHT to disappear for a while and not be distracted by WW!!

Sue
    Still smiling but may not be after the reactions tomorrow. Actually you will all be relieved that I'm NOT going with my original idea of:
    "Wherever you go, there you are," he said, and picking up the light bulb, he left the room.
    by anisoara at 14:22 on 31 May 2004
    Dee -- The list of opening lines sounds good too. A way of organising ideas. My notebook at the moment is more colourful than wordy! But it's still a babe, so.... And now that I think of it, maybe Raymond Carver's idea was to begin with the opening lines. If it is, then I've created something new! (I pat myself on the back just in case.)

Sue -- I rather like that. Of course, that's easy for me to say, seeing how I have not managed yet to string together an RLG piece! I have to admit, I've been trawling around today for clues of the upcoming RLG. I'm looking forward to it!

Ani
    by Sue H at 14:23 on 31 May 2004
    Don't get too excited.......
    by anisoara at 14:27 on 31 May 2004
    Ha ha!

I wish you luck concentrating on your children's novel after the RLG, though you might allow yourself little respites to come in here. (Now that I'm back on a computer again, I don't want anyone else to move! ;-))

Ani

by Inspiration at 15:34 on 03 June 2004
    Just come across this thread. The notebook idea is brilliant. I did, or started but never finished, an alphabetical version. So there are twenty six stories, with the titles beginning with A, B, C etc. Maybe I'll dig that out (dust it down) and get on with it!

This idea has really inspired me to get moving again!

Thanks

XXXInniXXX
    by anisoara at 18:46 on 03 June 2004
    Inni --

What I really like about it is that you can just write a line at a time! And you have so much choice once you get a first line down for each of the stories. Whatever moves you that day wins a new line!

Ani
    by Account Closed at 19:19 on 03 June 2004
    Hi Ani, I do the same thing. I use one line for a title/theme/idea, then jot the story in a few words for each short story idea that I come up with.

It's a great way to form new ideas and let your imagination go. When I'm ready to start a new short story, I just pick one from the notebook and start writing.

Ste
    x
    by Becca at 20:22 on 03 June 2004
    Ani, but have you read the early writings of Tom Corregesan Boyle, later known as Tom Boyle, because he couldn't handle his middle name. I think you might like them really a lot.
    Becca.
    by Dee at 20:47 on 03 June 2004
    [I]you can just write a line at a time! And you have so much choice once you get a first line down for each of the stories. Whatever moves you that day wins a new line![/I]

This is how I write my novels. I have several on the go at any one time and, as something occurs to me, I write it in. It’s great. You don’t get writers’ block and you don’t feel jaded by one story.

Dee

<Added>

This bloody alien PC doesn't recognise [] thingies!
    by anisoara at 21:15 on 03 June 2004
    Becca - I haven't read anything by T C Boyle, but believe it or not, I have two of his books on the shelf!!! That must be a sign. Thanks for the recommendation.

I've just had a look, and though I [u]know[/u] I have two, I only found one, called East is East from 1990. Oops, I think this one is a novel. I'll see if I can figure out what I did with the other, where he calls himself T C Boyle. (He's still T Coraghessan Boyle with East is East.)

Dee -- Good to see you, alien PC and all!

Ani

<Added>

Well, I can't get the underlining to work!
    by Account Closed at 23:09 on 03 June 2004
    A magnificent idea. May provide a way to clear my head from all the pain.

Off to buy a notebook soon...
    by dryyzz at 08:10 on 04 June 2004
    I like to have a basic story premise and a title prior to starting. Thing is, once my characters get down on the page, I tend to try and let them do their own thing. So, quite often, by the end of the story the title is innapropriate.
    EG

A Story 'The Wrong Passenger' was going to be about picking up an innapropriate hitchiker.

The written story has no hitcher so makes the title redundant.

Characters, bless 'em :0)

Darryl
    by anisoara at 17:24 on 04 June 2004
    Darryl -- That's funny! I know what you mean about starting with an idea for a story and maybe it changes direction. The way I am doing the notebook, though, I have absolutely no idea about each story, only the line! It will be interesting for me to compare with my other stories written otherwise.

Ani
  • This 31 message thread spans 3 pages: 1  2   3  > >