Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 39 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1  2  3  > >  
  • Re: For whom do you write?
    by Ticonderoga at 14:51 on 06 June 2004

To fill the void, and in an attempt to create some sort of order out of the all-pervading chaos of life! And because I have to.......blah.

Mike
    by miffle at 15:29 on 06 June 2004
    I write to know I am alive: I write to navigate colourful and infinite worlds and to experience their ambiguities. I write to understand. I write to preserve. For whom? For anyone who is listening. For myself. For anyone who has ever inspired or had faith in me. Perhaps for God...
    Nikki.
    by Al T at 15:43 on 06 June 2004
    What interesting and varied responses!

Ste, I'm sure your grandad would have been immensely proud to know that he inspires you like that.

Dee, I now have an image in mind of the top of your head being lifted like a lid and Philly & Co scrambling out. And I sure it's just a matter of time before we can all walk into a bookshop and see your work.

Mike, I believe that wanting to fill a void is a huge creative force.

Nikki, you have a generous approach to writing.

Adele
    by Friday at 16:14 on 06 June 2004
    Adele - ‘Zen like’ - is that bad?

I don't write for one person but I do hope one person likes what I write.

Dee - I agree about the characters. I’ve been talking to characters since I was four, now I listen, write down what they say and do. For me it’s a natural progression.

Great thread Adele.

Dawn,
    by Dee at 16:27 on 06 June 2004
    Dawn, yes!

Our characters exist in another dimension and we’re just bringing their messages through to this side.

Dee
    x
    by Account Closed at 16:32 on 06 June 2004
    Dawn, Dee, they're REAL after all! - I thought it was me just going insane

Ste
    x
    by Account Closed at 17:53 on 06 June 2004
    Dee, I've often suspected as much. Sometimes, do you find when you write, its almost as if certain chatracters have just been sat there waiting for their chance to leap onto the page and therefore into the physical univerese?

It's a mystical business, this writing lark.

JB
    by anisoara at 18:08 on 06 June 2004
    I can relate to the characters existing inside the head, but sometimes they'll come out, and other times they won't. In particular, I have in mind a story (which is going to have to be a long one - hard on me, but it just wasn't going to pour into a short story) that's been sitting in my head, with all its people (there could be further players, but I haven't met them yet), but every time I try to birth, I get stymied, so back inside they go. Maybe it's because I don't have ALL of their story, though I do have most of it. It's bits that aren't there, not huge chunks. (Although I am sure that they would pick up even more bits in the process of delivery.) I wish I could just let the story rip, and deal with the question marks as I get to them, but it seems that the characters just don't want to come out halfway!

There. Said it.

Ani
    by Account Closed at 18:14 on 06 June 2004
    That conjures up some rather graphic and disturbing images Ani!

Seriously though, I'm sure, given a little time, your story will emerge in it's completeness. I always find I never really know what thestory is until it's finished. Then i go back, and rewrite.

JB
    by Al T at 21:41 on 06 June 2004
    Dawn,

Adele - ‘Zen like’ - is that bad?

Definitely not! But it is mysterious...

It must be rather wonderful to being the person written for when the work is beautiful, like Ronsard's Helene, Shakespeare's dark lady, Montale's Clizia (whose reference I borrowed in my poem yesterday - he got it from Ovid) or, in fiction, Zhivago's Lara (Omar Sharif, drool...).

Adele.
    by Cea at 15:00 on 07 June 2004
    My theory is that our stories are actual events happening to people in another dimension. Somehow this filters through to our dimension as creative inspiration and stories. Which means that YOUR life is actually being written about in another plane of existence, as someone else's story.

I really should get off the drugs...
    by Ticonderoga at 16:14 on 07 June 2004

Cea,
    That sounds like a wonderful combination of Jungian theory and Plato's cave and Kurt Vonnegut. Nice......

Mike
    by anisoara at 16:20 on 07 June 2004

And it reminds me of Sophie's World!

Ani
    by Al T at 17:07 on 07 June 2004
    Nice idea, Cea.
    by Cea at 15:55 on 08 June 2004
    Thanks!

Mike - forgive my ignorance but what's Plato's cave?
  • This 39 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1  2  3  > >