Login   Sign Up 

This 39 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1   2  3 > >  
  • Re: For whom do you write?
    by Al T at 16:41 on 08 June 2004
    Cea, don't know where Mike is (working hard, I'd imagine), but take a look at this:
    http://faculty.washington.edu/smcohen/320/cave.htm

And if you liked the Matrix, check this one too:
    http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com/rl_cmp/new_phil_partridge.html

Adele.

<Added>

Btw, my number one tip to you is if you want to know something, Google it!
    by Dee at 17:36 on 08 June 2004
    Cea,

My theory is that our stories are actual events happening to people in another dimension.

Great minds think alike!!!

Our characters exist in another dimension and we’re just bringing their messages through to this side.

Dee

by Cea at 09:56 on 09 June 2004
    Thanks Adele - I love Google.

Dee - I agree!
    by Davy Skyflyer at 13:54 on 09 June 2004
    The way I see it, we are entering an age where you are going to have to stand up and be counted if you wanna keep things the way they are (or change 'em - whatever you wanna do!)

Writing and writers will have to search themselves and decide - what are we here for?
    Look at Michael Moore (you may not want to, but go on, take a peek) and what he's done since the Republican party hung, drew and quatered Clinton (impeaching him for not controlling his dick, but letting Reagan get away with numerous things, such as Iran Contra scandal) and cheated their way to the 2000 election. Moore has, if nothing else, alerted the world to the fact that not all Yanks are taking this sitting down.

I mean its a long way from here to the top, and to having an influence in the world, but a writer can change people's opinions and alert them to certain things; i.e. situations that might be, if we all sit in front of our TV screens and accept what the media (controlled by who?) spew out to us. Rupert Murdoch is one of the most powerful men in the world. His media corp dominates American and English tabloids and TV, not to mention elsewhere. JUST LOOK AT BURLESCONI in Italy. That situation is not too far from dictatorship. I know it's not, but one day, when someone with less scruples than Silvio gets their hands on state run media...

Look at Putin.

Look around and see...you either let it happen or stand up and be counted.

Two words to rest my case:

George Orwell.

That's why I write.

Regards

Dav Rantface

<Added>

Just thought I'd add: -

Clearly, the story is all important. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying all writing should be politically motivated or ought, but the fact that we have freedom of expression should always be paramount - that's kind of what I mean.

I'd like my writing to reach an audience and make them think, but not change their minds if, like Silverelli, they are steadfast in their beliefs etc. But I'd like eveyone that does read to enjoy the story, characters and get some entertainment from it.

I think I write for the characters - so their story is told in the best, most eye-opening and entertaining way possible.

My only battle is against censorship - once that starts, we are on a slippery slope, I believe.

As long as we are free to express ourselves, then life is sweeter than a pile of the sweetest nuts.

Thanks

Dav

<Added>

P.S.

They don't call me Mr Conversation Killer for nothing.

I've murdered so many I'm actually on the run!
    by Al T at 16:54 on 09 June 2004
    Dav,it's good to see you still have passion in your soul! I think I've got heatstroke.
    by Mikesparks at 19:42 on 09 June 2004
    Don't think too deep...you'll sink!
    by Account Closed at 20:57 on 10 June 2004
    Oi Rantface! Well said.

We mustn't let poeple shut us up on the basis of PC cotton-hearted morality. Personally, I'm writing in an attempt to awaken a lazy and selfish fat God, who can then come back and wreak almighty havoc across this beautiful planet we've so brilliantly f***** up!

Seriously though, a simple fairytale has the power to change the universe.

JB
    by old friend at 07:35 on 13 June 2004
    I write for myself. I write in the hope that others may enjoy, be entertained, moved. shocked, amused or surprised, and to impart an image of me as one who can write and write well.

I write for it opens that cornucopia of a creative mind and allows me to live in parallel worlds, to express my dreams, fantasies, hopes and desires.

I write selfishly.

Len
    by Al T at 17:23 on 14 June 2004
    Len, cornucopia is a wonderful word.

Back to the subject of this thread, it seems that Audiman is now writing for (and about) Fearless and his fanclub (which includes me) - all a bit incestuous, no?

Adele.
  • This 39 message thread spans 3 pages:  < <   1   2  3 > >