• Re: Creativity and being alone
    by anisoara at 15:19 on 17 August 2004
    IB -

I got a laugh from that!

Ani
    by nudgy at 10:11 on 18 August 2004
    Davey S

Remember that scene in Goodfellas where Liotta says to Pesci "You're a funny guy", well you're a funny guy.

I'm gonna go and have to read some of your stuff to see if it reflects your apparent sense of clever, insane humour. (Are you Spike Milligan's and Alexei Sayle's lovechild?)

Long may you thrive on this earth!

Dave
    by Davy Skyflyer at 10:31 on 18 August 2004
    (Adopt Italian New York accent)
    Funny? Funny how? You busting my balls...

Just kidding - that was supposed to be the bit from the film. No shit!

Thanks very much Dave, I appreciate that. It cheers me up to think at least one other person is getting something positive from my ramblings!

Regards

Dav

(I won't kiss you but don't take offence)
    by Skippoo at 10:42 on 18 August 2004
    Nudgy, I'm glad someone understands my creativity/being a Billy predicament (that's Billy for Billy No Mates. I do have mates, really, but you know what I mean).

Re. sleeping in the car: I sold my Peugeot at the beginning of the year so can't try that one to get my creative juices flowing. The number 8 bus is my main form of transport now, but it's one of London's busiest routes, so no hope there....

Are male writers chick-magnets? Hmmm, well my past men have always been about as uncreative as you can get. I am considering trying to find a creative type. Maybe then we could both encourage each other to... erm... not get distracted by each other???

Come on, though, there must be someone out there in a sickenly happy relationship who writes reams?! Please?! This thread can't just be made up of cynical blokes called Dave.....

Cath

p.s. But as I can't help but like cynical types, I'm off to read some of both your works. I'm off work today with caffeine poisoning (crazy but true!), so it'll give me something to do.

by nudgy at 13:36 on 18 August 2004
    Cath

I know exactly what you mean.

Re, transport, you could always get one of those rickshaws that cycles round Covent Garden for a bit of solitude, with plenty of potential nosebag involved (Inspiration!)

Easy

Dave
    by Becca at 11:32 on 22 August 2004
    Cath, being in a relationship while writing certainly changes something. I'm pretty sure you need more discipline to carry on with a writing routine, and being in a relationship can change what you're writing about, or change the tone of your writing.
    If the person you're in the relationship is good news, they will make sure they don't invade your space writing-wise, (on purpose at least). There are lots of us on WW that have the whole scene,.. family, partner, outside work etc. I think it's hard though, and I cherish aloneness a lot.
    Becca.
    by fireweed at 16:44 on 23 August 2004
    Hi, Becca, I've only just discovered the forum although I have been a member of the poetry seminar and poetry group 1 for a couple of months at least. I agree, my solitude is important to me and I'm sure I'd write less if I had to find time for a partner etc. I don't mean to sound self-absorbed but recently, I took on more responsibility with a poetry society I belong to and I did find I didn't have the energy or the ideas to write. Things have improved since then, however.

fireweed
    by Becca at 20:42 on 23 August 2004
    Hi Fireweed,
    It's a matter of getting the balance right, I reckon, always tricky, always needed.
    Becca.
    by Skippoo at 15:59 on 26 August 2004
    I never actually thought about how relationships might change the way you write (rather than just stop you writing!). Anyone got any examples of how? I find this kind of stuff really interesting.

Catherine
    by geoffmorris at 16:34 on 26 August 2004
    Hi all,

Not sure if relationships change the way you write but I find I write a lot more when alone. Sometiems I just get that urge and and think the lonliness seems to heighten it somehow.

One thing that really helps tho is talking to people as I write. Chatting to friends or even random people on messenger often sets something off in me.

maybe you could give that a try.

Geoff

PS I read an article is New Scientist once that said that women tend to be attracted to more creative types because it demonstrates attractive attributes like intelligence and resourcefulness.
    by nudgy at 10:58 on 01 September 2004
    I don't want women to be attracted to me because I write, cuz then a relationship may start which will curtail my writing opps - vicious circle.

Oh God life's a challenge!

Dave
    by Elsie at 21:56 on 10 September 2004
    Can I just add that the first time I saw my chap he was reading what I thought looked like a very 'intelligent' book. He has no idea what it was now. Now he reads cookery books and antique guides, and the odd barefoot doctor. But, he thinks I'm a brilliant writer. Though he's never read a thing I've written. He says he just knows. (He's not comfortable reading english). So, I can write with him sitting next to me, knowing he won't snoop or butt in. Apart from asking me how to spell something..
  • This 27 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 > >