Login   Sign Up 

This 30 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • Getting into the mood....
    by anisoara at 09:36 on 12 September 2004
    for writing, of course. What did you think I meant?

It's one of those days when you find yourself avoiding your writing. Every time you resolve to pick up your pen or open the file for the piece you're working on, you ... have to go to the loo, or realise that you need a cup of coffee, or remember to do the washing up. Or maybe you just feel flat.

So what do you do to get into the mood for writing?
  • Re: Getting into the mood....
    by Dee at 10:15 on 12 September 2004
    I find that thinking about Fynn getting his kit off works wonders... although he’s cooking at the moment... coating root vegetables with olive oil and... mmm... sorry! Must get back…

by Anna Reynolds at 16:40 on 12 September 2004
    Cleaning windows often works for me. Something symbolic. And painting walls a nice clean new colour. Cleaning, in fact- I can't start unless my office is pristine.
    by Sue at 17:06 on 12 September 2004
    I got my new issue of Writing magazine and Writing News and that got me fired up again.

Find reading something I agree with, or otherwise, sometimes does to

Sue
    by Skippoo at 19:13 on 12 September 2004
    Going for a walk or cycle helps me - but I don't do either enough. I am procrasinating queen!

Cath
    by Account Closed at 19:21 on 12 September 2004
    Listening to Chopin usually works for me.

Ste
    by anisoara at 21:46 on 12 September 2004
    I am afraid I don't know what works for me. Sometimes I successfully sit down and write, sometimes I just keep skirting it. I wish I could observe some sort of pattern connected with the successes.

And why would I skirt my writing? I feel so good when I'm writing, so why this avoidant behaviour?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. It must be the Bluebeard in my psyche! I'm going to shoot his head off!

by Skippoo at 21:59 on 12 September 2004
    Happens to me too, Ani!
    by old friend at 22:15 on 12 September 2004
    I am with you, Ani and Skippoo. I just do not know what it is.

by Dee at 22:45 on 12 September 2004
    And painting walls a nice clean new colour. Cleaning, in fact- I can't start unless my office is pristine.

Anna, will you come and live with me?

by Grinder at 08:15 on 13 September 2004
    Not doing it, if I haven’t written for a while then I’m always really eager to get beck to it, and then all the ideas that have been fermenting in my head just pour out onto the page, its great.

Grinder
    by olebut at 08:20 on 13 September 2004
    I think it is about being in the right ( should that be write) frame of mind If my mind is cluttered with everyday things , paying the mortgage shopping etc then I tend to find I dont get any inspiration. It is also about not forcing the words to come out. But if I get an image or phrase in my head I usually just haveto stop what I am doing until I have written the embryo down on apiece of paper or at least have it fixed in my mind until I can work on it

It is about where you are who you are with what you are doing and being in tune with your emotions your mental images and yourself.

It is laos the smae for offering critique/copmment on here if I am not in the right frame of mind I cant do it.
    by bjlangley at 09:19 on 13 September 2004
    I had a bad start to the writing day yesterday. The house was empty and I had the chance to get on, but little things were bugging me - the washing up needed doing, there were toys all over the floor, and I found myself gettin gall of this in order.

When I'd finished this I picked up a short story that I'd covered in pink pen to highlight bits that needed work. There was too much pink, I felt down, and put it away.

I opened up my file for my novel, and added a sentence. Then I realised I needed to understand my characters better before going any further, and I needed to get my plot outline written down to stop me from going off on a tangent.

Anyway, I eventually find the thread with the questions for you character in, and copy those down. Finally I start to get somewhere, write a page or so on the plot, set out a paragraph on each of the characters introduced so far, and how they will play a part in the story. Sub-plots come to mind that could run with alongside the main tale.
    I had a bad start to the writing day yesterday. The house was empty and I had the chance to get on, but little things were bugging me - the washing up needed doing, there were toys all over the floor, and I found myself gettin gall of this in order.

When I'd finished this I picked up a short story that I'd covered in pink pen to highlight bits that needed work. There was too much pink, I felt down, and put it away.

I opened up my file for my novel, and added a sentence. Then I realised I needed to understand my characters better before going any further, and I needed to get my plot outline written down to stop me from going off on a tangent.

Anyway, I eventually find the thread with the questions for you character in, and copy those down. Finally I start to get somewhere, write a page or so on the plot, set out a paragraph on each of the characters introduced so far, and how they will play a part in the story. Sub-plots come to mind that could run with alongside the main tale.

<Added>

Gah, always do that, hadn't finished!

Anyway, by then my time is up. I start to think I'm getting somewhere, and I have to stop. Back into the weekly routine now, should be able to pinch some time this evening, and Thursday, and most of next weekend - let's hope I can get into the mood sooner. Now I've given myself direction, I think I might just be able...

• This 30 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >