Login   Sign Up 

• How to write a good blurb
    by Dwriter at 13:09 on 27 October 2008
    Need help creating a blurb for the back cover of one of my novels and thought you guys could give me some advice on this. I never know how much I should write on these things, so maybe you can help me.

Below is the synopsis of the story I have written:

The planet Drakon. Many thousands of years ago, the Dragons (at the time the dominant species) cracked the science of time travel and invented a means of travelling through different worlds by opening portals. Using this technology, the Dragons were able to visit worlds other than their own and thus spread their legends. They were also to teach the people of Drakon about Science, so that the ancient belief’s of Sorcery and Magic were forgotten.

Ten years ago, Dronor, the last of the Dragons passed away after thousand years of living. As part of his final experiment, and so that the memory of his race would not be forgotten, he choose four sisters, imparting on each of them a part of his knowledge and power. The sisters became known as the Dragonkin, humans with powers of different Dragons.

But now, a time of darkness is approaching. The Baalarian Empire, led by the cruel Emperor Gothon, seeks to dominate Drakon. Many city and lands have already fallen under the banner of Baalaria, razing and burning to the ground any who do not surrender to his will. Adding to this that one of the Dragonkin has betrayed her sisters and joined forces with Gothon, this could possibly be the time of darkness prophesied in olden times, foretelling a great darkness.

Meanwhile, on the planet called Earth, Ben Anthony, a teenage street kid with a knack for getting into trouble, is accidentally teleported to Drakon. Or so it seems. For although Ben doesn’t know it, he is set to play an important part in the battle for Drakon.

An epic journey begins, in where Ben tries to find a way to get back home. He teams up with a number of bizarre allies along the way; and the battle for Drakon begins!

Now, of course I know that there is no way I can fit ALL of this at the back of my blurb. Any ideas of what should be the main points to focus on? Any help would be boombastic!

Thanks.
  • Re: How to write a good blurb
    by NMott at 14:06 on 27 October 2008
    Interesting storyline. I'll try to pick out the bits I found most interesting:

Over many thousands of years, the Dragons of the planet Drakon have been capable of travelling to different worlds via portals and thus spread their legends.
    Before his death Dronor, the last of the Dragons, chooses four Drakon sisters and to each he imparts a part of his knowledge and power. The sisters became known as the Dragonkin.
    But now, a time of darkness is approaching. The Baalarian Empire seeks to dominate Drakon, and one of the Dragonkin has betrayed her sisters and joined forces with the enemy. Meanwhile on planet Earth, Ben Anthony, a teenage street kid with a knack for getting into trouble, finds himself accidentally teleported to Drakon. As he tries to find his way back home, he teams up with a number of bizarre allies, and so the battle for Drakon begins!

- NaomiM

<Added>

Needs polishing, but i think it gets the main points in.
    by Dwriter at 14:17 on 27 October 2008
    NaomiM

Thanks for your time. And thanks for your input. I think your blurb actually is better than I could ever put it. Thanks.
    by NMott at 17:09 on 27 October 2008
    Well there's some alliteration that needs cleaning up - imparts a part, and finds himself...tries to find, so have a play around with it.

- NaomiM
    by Dwriter at 18:35 on 27 October 2008
    Will do. Thanks again.