Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Any chefs in the house?
    by Dee at 20:22 on 10 October 2004
    I’m developing a new character for a novel (Oliver in Coming Back, for those who’ve read it) and I rather like the idea of him being a chef. (the research will be ace!)

When the story opens he is unemployed – which will be explained as the tale unfolds – but he used to have his own restaurant.

The trouble is, I’m not sure of the hierarchy in cheffing. I don’t know the different terms. What is a sous-chef? And a comis-chef? And is it ‘comis’ or ‘commis’? And what other variations are there? What is the term for the boss-chef?

I’ve tried googling but all I get are job vacancies.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers
    Dee
    x
  • Re: Any chefs in the house?
    by Al T at 20:55 on 10 October 2004
    Dee, a commis chef is a trainee who does prep work (peeling vegetables etc) and basic cooking. The next step up is section chef, or chef de partie, who, as the name suggests, runs a section of a kitchen such sauces or pastry. The next rung is sous-chef, who is the head chef’s number two, and people like Gordon Ramsey are head chefs (chef just means boss in French).

I wish I had a commis to work in my kitchen – I hate peeling spuds!

Adele.
    by Dee at 21:13 on 10 October 2004
    Adele, you’re a star. Thank you. I didn’t realise it was so simple.

I wouldn’t mind being a commis. For me there’s something very satisfying, very fundamental, in preparing vegetables. Earth Mother coming to the surface - although I only peel spuds if I’m doing mash. Mmmm… could just eat some now…

Dee
    x
    by Al T at 22:15 on 10 October 2004
    Hi, years ago I did some classes at Leith's Cookery School, which trains pros as well as amateurs like me, who know they could never stand the heat of a restaurant kitchen. One of my teachers was an amazing Tom-boyish Cockney sparrow of a woman called Emma Crowhurst who, amongst other things, was once a pastry chef at Claridges. On the last day of one of the courses she had us make boudin blanc (white sausage) from scratch. Never have I seen anyone being quite so suggestive with a piping bag and sausage skins! Our ingredients got very wet with tears of laughter. She pops up on telly from time to time and is a born performer.

As for peeling potatoes, I used to have a Scottish boyfriend who didn't think a meal was a meal without tatties (many). The starch makes my hands itch, though, so I often cheated and cooked ready-scrubbed new potatoes.

Adele.