Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Spoken Word - games and ideas
    by Joolz at 09:13 on 30 January 2010
    I don't know if I'm stabbing in the dark here or not, but I wonder if anyone knows of some fun spoken word games or challenges? I'm asking because I have a spoken word event coming up (casual foyer bar atmosphere), and would like to run relevant mini games in between the performances to increase audience engagement and participation.

All thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Joolz
  • Re: Spoken Word - games and ideas
    by cherys at 17:16 on 30 January 2010

Expert: pick a subject then three people are one expert and say one word each, forming "knowledgeable" nonsense sentences from it. (Listen to I'm sorry I Haven't a Clue for perfect examples of this.) It used to be a standard at the old Comedy Store when Paul Merton was Paul Martin and still wore jumpers knitted by his nan. Very funny to watch.

Chinese whispers. Groups of four. Everyone has to think of an amazing thing that happened to them once - that can be told as an anecdote. In pairs they tell each other their anecdotes. then swap pairs and tell the anecdote they heard, swap again and tell what they heard. Amazing how 3 degrees of separation can alter a story beyond recognition.

by Steerpike`s sister at 17:59 on 30 January 2010
    Word associations: everyone sit in a circle, pick one person to start by saying the first word that comes into their head. The next person has to (instantly) say the first word that word makes them think of. Go on around the circle like that.

You could have an adult spelling bee...
    by ChiQi24 at 02:09 on 19 February 2010
    I am not sure if you're event has already passed, however I have a game that I call "Who's got the orange?". Very simple and in fact, is so simple most cannot figure out the game without being TOLD the resolution...

The best way to explain how it works is to give you an example:

ME: I have the orange, I give the orange to you, you mail the orange to your mother, your mother cuts up the orange, plants the seeds of half the orange and gives you and I each a piece to eat of the other half. Who has the orange?

*of course you can have that be as simple or complicated as you would like it to be.

The answer is: whoever speaks first after the question "who's got the orange?". As far as the example, if you had said "my mother has the orange", you would be wrong, but also the person in "possession" of the orange.

It does not need to be someone who was involved in the description of where the orange was sent to. They do not even need to be playing the game! As long as it was clear that someone spoke after the question is asked. It's really a fun game. Hope you enjoy! =]