Login   Sign Up 

• Cuttings file
    by Carlton Relf at 13:59 on 20 February 2010
    Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to the site and was wondering if members found it useful to maintain a cuttings file to assist ideas and inspiration. I have tried to do this, but am not finding it very helpful. I am in the process of writing a book but also like to write articles of interest. I get most of my ideas from every day events, people watching, the news and so on. I have read so much about the benefits of cutting files. I would be interested in views on this.

Thanks
    Carlton
  • Re: Cuttings file
    by Katie Mayes at 14:08 on 20 February 2010
    Do you mean like a scrapbook?

I haven't done anything like that but what I do do is put everything into my writer's notebook. In there is observational writing, interesting headlines I've cut out of magazines or newspapers, photos, leaves (!), character studies, random paragraphs of writing, short story drafts, one liners that come to me in the middle of the night and lots, lots more!

Needless to say my A5 notebook is bursting at the seams and I need to start a new one but I find that easier than a scrapbook type thing plus it keeps all my writing 'stuff' in one place.

At the end of the day you have to do what is useful for 'you' and what you find easiest to get along with.

Katie x
    by EmmaD at 14:15 on 20 February 2010
    Yes, I keep a notebook, and only rarely take cuttings - though I do do that too. I think the only reason to cut something out is if it speaks to you - has that glow of possibility about it. If it doesn't, you don't need it.

Emma
    by NMott at 14:34 on 20 February 2010
    Yes it is useful, especially if you are writing articles and may need to quote your source.
    by Carlton Relf at 14:36 on 20 February 2010
    Hi Katie and Emma

Thanks for that. I am doing a course where they keep encouraging keeping envelopes of cuttings for different subjects. I use a notebook and agree that a cutting would only be useful if it speaks to you. I am not keen on keeping many cuttings in envelopes. I would probably not look at them again - Anything that excites me, I would pin on my notice board in front of me.

Thanks again
    Carlton
    by chris2 at 14:40 on 20 February 2010
    Yes, the notebook's best. Cuttings, printouts and photocopies tend to be placed in orderly fashion in carefully marked folders never to see daylight again.

Chris
    by Carlton Relf at 16:08 on 20 February 2010
    Thanks Nmott and Chris

I will keep cuttings that excite me but also be mindful that too many will be pointless. I like my notebook best.

Thanks again.

Kind regards
    Carlton