Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

• Tips for writing a novel
    by em1234 at 11:01 on 01 March 2010
    Check out this list about how to find ideas and inspiration when creating a novel.

http://bit.ly/2slTkY

What do you lot think of it? Do you have other ideas that you use?
  • Re: Tips for writing a novel
    by debac at 13:14 on 18 March 2010
    Em, I've only skim-read it, but it looks to me as if there are some good ideas in there, but a lot of mickey mouse ideas, and a lot of it is very 'painting by numbers'.

Personally I find the idea for a novel just comes to me - starts with one idea or one character or one scene and develops outwards from there. I do agree with your list that it's good to write about a general topic which interests you - but then, wouldn't we all do that naturally anyway?

So, with my current novel, I wasn't trying to think of story ideas at all, but was in the bath one saturday lunchtime and my husband came to tell me he was popping to tesco for something, and it made me think... what if? What if something or other when he came back. (Don't really want to say.) And I liked the idea, so it stayed in my mind, and a few weeks later I decided I wanted to write it as a novel, and by then I had more ideas for how I would develop it, and what else could happen.

Then, people plan to varying degrees, but I think I'm fairly average in that I have a structure in mind - a general story plan and shape - but I don't plan each chapter or scene in great detail before I write it. Some people plan everything before they write, and some people plan nothing. I am in the middle.

But ideas like giving your characters a symbol each (I didn't read it in detail) sound a bit gimmicky to be honest.

I also disagree with the advice often given that you must write really detailed backgrounds for each character before you start writing - that you need to know what they eat for breakfast and what kind of school they went to. I don't do that - I personally find it counter-productive. The characters I write tend to take shape before my eyes, and I find out these things about them as I go. It is important then to make a note of important details about them so you can ensure consistency in the rest of your novel. I find that, as soon as I find out how they behave, how they talk etc, I naturally know what kind of breakfast they would eat, but that isn't usually something to be included in the narrative.

I'm sure others will come along with different suggestions for you.

Good luck,

Deb
  • Re: Tips for writing a novel
    by NMott at 14:17 on 18 March 2010
    A lot of useful tips, and some not so useful, although I can see No.10 leading to problems. Yes, change oyur view point to that of your main character, but be very sure of oyurself and your writing before you bring in a whole load of other characters' view points - this type of headhopping is not good writing technique.