Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 16 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • What would have happened if Narnia came to the Blitz?
    by AuraTodd at 19:16 on 09 May 2010
    I hope this is the right forum? If not, can you please move it to the right one? I have been reading the Narnia novels by C.S. Lewis and I would like to know what would have happened if the white witch had followed through the wardrobe to WW2? My questions are:

Would she have tried to cause chaos?

Would she have made it a world-wide winter?

Would she have joined Hitler and pushed the war into a different level?

Would she have been Churchill’s worst nightmare?

Would domestic pets suddenly start talking like humans?

Would Christmas be banned?

Would there have been a resistance group?

I was just curious. If anyone has any further input (within reason) please feel free to say? Many thanks.
  • Re: What would have happened if Narnia came to the Blitz?
    by Steerpike`s sister at 19:51 on 09 May 2010
    Brilliant topic! The answer is, I suppose - any and all of the above, and probably much more, limited only by your imagination. I suspect the White Witch is a natural fascist at heart (in The Magician's Nephew, she does seem that way). I can imagine Hitler becoming fascinated by her - perhaps a German spy would smuggle her over to Germany, and she'd replace Eva Braun. There would be a Nazi invasion of Narnia - again, that was hinted at as a possiblity in The Magician's Nephew (not specifically the Nazis, but the temptation for humans to take over Narnia and exploit it).

Would domestic pets suddenly start talking like humans?

The question is whether it was just the witch who came over, I suppose - her magic is diminished in 'our' world - or whether 'our' world started behaving like Narnia for some reason. In which case, Aslan could come over as well, I suppose.
    by AuraTodd at 20:08 on 09 May 2010
    This is an interesting, thought. I think she would have probably gone to Germany anyway with or without being smuggled. The witch had many followers and I am working on a story which is fantasy, but not saying more har har! A similar parellel story was told in Stardust, althrough it was a bit different.

It would be like Lord of the rings meets Battle of Britain.

by GaiusCoffey at 22:50 on 09 May 2010
    Why Germany?
    She spoke English in the books and didn't seem the type to hang on another's success. Far more likely that she'd have gone to English speaking Canada, close to the Arctic, and started her own empire, slowly burying the American continent in her evil.
    If anything, she would then launch an invasion of Germany and kick out the little upstart with the funny moustache. I imagine there would be all kinds of freak weather followed by a recession and a hung parliament in the UK too.
    by AuraTodd at 15:21 on 10 May 2010
    A female dictator?
    by GaiusCoffey at 19:22 on 10 May 2010
    Any reason why not?
    by AuraTodd at 19:33 on 10 May 2010
    I suppose so. Able to befriend Hitler then do the dirty on him, when she has him where she wants.

Invade two countries at once, coming from either side into one, thus totally surrounding the area locking it tighter then a Barnical. This method is called drawing in the net, and was used by Vespasian the Roman general.

Some women (not all) would probably join her and form their own party. basically the world would go a bit madder then it did then.

These are just wierd idea's Hope I wasn't being odd.
    by GaiusCoffey at 22:41 on 10 May 2010
    Or maybe Switzerland, their English is passable and they do some nice chocolate. She could have slowly destroyed Europe from the inside, pretending neutrality until she managed to enslave Mussolini, Hitler and the French guy with the lure of her favour, then playing them off against each other, demanding ever greater sacrifices of love, until she controlled a force big enough to take Siberia. (Which would obviously be her dream...)
    by GaiusCoffey at 22:49 on 10 May 2010
    Do you think she and Stalin would get along?
    by AuraTodd at 10:13 on 11 May 2010
    Yes until he was of no use to her anymore.
    by Account Closed at 19:26 on 11 May 2010
    Leila, I have to say, somebody should write that book!

JB

<Added>

Michael Moorcock had dragons at the Battle of Britain, which was pretty cool. Naomi Novik put her dragons in the Napoleonic Wars, equally as cool. I think the best WWII fantasy novel is The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe though, although it's a little indirect on the theme.

<Added>

Churchill would have seen the White Witch off, riding up a Normandy beach on the back of Aslan while chuffing a cigar.
    by GaiusCoffey at 21:04 on 11 May 2010
    Educate me, please.

How does one chuff a cigar?
    by Account Closed at 22:53 on 11 May 2010
    Chuff (3)  
    1. a sound of or like the exhaust of a steam engine.
    – verb (used without object)
    2. to emit or proceed with chuffs: The train chuffed along.

I used the word, probably entirely erroneously, to conjure such an image. It had nothing to do with stuffing birds into cigars or giving a cigar a sense of pride and well-being.

JB
    by AuraTodd at 15:15 on 12 May 2010
    What is Micheal Moorecocks book called please?
    by Account Closed at 15:24 on 12 May 2010
    The Dreamthief's Daughter

You should be able to get it off Amazon. I think it was only published in the US. Basically, it's Elric vs. the Nazis. I loved it.

JB

• This 16 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >