Login   Sign Up 

This 20 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 
  • Re: Inspiration - wait for it, or force it out?
    by Agnieszka Ryk at 05:14 on 02 May 2003
    bj - that exactly proves the theory of my favourite quote:

http://www.writewords.org.uk/forum/47_405.asp
    by Account Closed at 00:07 on 08 January 2004
    "Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety nine percent perspiration."
    - Thomas Edison

I get inspiration from the weirdest things and in the weirdest places. I was standing in line in a cue, waiting to pay for my 4 bottles of Pepsi the other day, my writing octane fuel, and whilst thinking how annoying it was to be waiting, because of elderly scracth card addicts and lottery freaks, I had two ideas for short stories, reflecting the experience of waiting in a cue for twenty minutes behind these god forsaken gamblers. So inspiration just seems to happen for me. And I didn't expect to walk out of a shop with two new ideas, as shops breed atmospheres of non-creativity.

I have a point I'm trying to say. Oh yes, if I'd gone in the shop straining my brain trying to come up with inspiration I'd have a: gone out the shop with no ideas, or b: been more impatient with the elderly addicts, either way I would have left the shop without any new inspiration.

But if shops for me, are places of non-creativity then how did I come up with inspiration? I think it's all down to the sub-conscious [ which is better than your brain, don't argue, it just is! I'm not talking about the sub-conscious part of the brain either, I'm talking about the sub-conscious yellow organ thingy between your stomach and your spine, the thing that makes your stomach drop when you ride rollercoasters. ]

Inspiration comes from everything you've ever seen in your life, which is stored in the sub-conscious part of your brain and I reckon that the inspiration for creating things comes from the other sub-conscious which allows you to draw from your brain sub-conscious which allows you to get carried away in thoughts and come up with new inspirational ideas. Apparently it's all to do with metaphysics, which is quite frightening to think about because it takes pure effort and dis-belief to think about it, but it makes perfect sense.

And with metaphysical stuff, things happen because of some weird dimension, the mind, and other weird stuff they don't put in science books. But it all works, inspiration should just happen, don't force it, but don't wait for it either. Time is a terrible thing to waste, and if I was being metaphysical, I'd turn around and say time only wastes a person that let's it.

Well, that's my ten-cents as they say, and I'm not insane, honest, I'm just a writer who has probably just made a few people on here think I've completely lost the plot.
    by Becca at 05:57 on 08 January 2004
    Sounds sound to me. The only thing I'd say is that writing something everyday, inspired or not, is the best exercise a writer can do, so if I was not writing until inspired, I wouldn't put my hands on the keyboards for weeks.
    by Dee at 17:50 on 08 January 2004
    Sounds good, Steven, but don’t forget the quote you opened with. If you’re working to a deadline you probably won’t have the luxury of waiting for inspiration to strike. It’s wonderful when that one percent hits your brain but the mark of a dedicated writer is being able to keep going with the other 99.

By the way, if you’re going to write about it… it’s queue, not cue.

Cheers
    Dee.
    by Account Closed at 18:55 on 08 January 2004
    Dee,

It's good to write dailly as I do, I find that when I'm writing that things I never thought of just happen from the things I've just written. So writing feeds further inspiration. So if anyone just writes each day they should find themselves being inspired by what they've written that day. These words, where they come from I know not, but still I keep on writing.

And the [queue] was far more horrifying than it sounded.

Steven

'Every writer is a frustrated actor who recites his lines in the hidden auditorium of his skull.'
    - Rod Serling
  • This 20 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2