Login   Sign Up 

• When a child misses his/her Mom.
    by Mox at 19:19 on 14 November 2010
    Hi Everybody,

I got stuck here. My character Little, who is eleven, has been missing his mom for weeks, because she's with her husband on a contract job, in other city, and she knows her only son is at home, doing nothing as there's a summer vacation. Though he knows they're doing some important work, but still he's angry cuz they promised to come back to spend time with him, but there is a least expectation.

In the morning, Little recives a call from her mother, so tell me:

1 what would be his first reaction?

2 What would he begin to ask/talk? Would he prefer to talk with his father( his father often makes excuses just cuz all the time Little asks "when you come")?

3 What would his Mom make excuses to console him as she knows she would not return before finishing her contract.

4 When A child shows his/her aggression (for the same topic above), in what way a mother can cool her child. (Tell me all possibilities)

I know there are so many mothers here, can you share such experience. Any reply would greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

<Added>

Any reply would be greatly appreciated.
  • Re: When a child misses his/her Mom.
    by NMott at 19:30 on 14 November 2010
    The child might refuse to talk to his parents - silence is a good weapon for a child. Maybe the carer answers and the kid refuses to come to the phone so she has to take a message.
    by CarolineSG at 11:52 on 15 November 2010
    Hi Michael

Based on experiences with my own children, I think he might be deliberately cool with her at first...just to let her know he's not happy and tweak the guilt feelings a little bit!

Also, I've really noticed that even when children are really missing parents like crazy [my partner works away a lot] they aren't great at chatting on the phone. They go a bit silent and expect the adult to do most of the work. I think they freeze a bit because they have lots to say. Hope that helps?
    by EmmaD at 11:55 on 15 November 2010
    Yes, they don't really chat - you have to ask the questions - "What did you do at school today?" and unless you've got a naturally chatty child they tend to say, "nothing" or "we had lunch"... And then they say, "When are you coming home?"

Emma
    by CarolineSG at 11:57 on 15 November 2010
    Yes, that's absolutely right - my eldest is nearly twelve and he is very chatty in real life but definitely needs to be coaxed along in a phonecall.
    by cherys at 17:21 on 15 November 2010
    Not had first hand experience of my kids being offhand or cross on the phone yet, but I do remember my nephew picking up the phone when I'd been away for ages and neglectful of getting in touch. I said, "Hello darling, it's Auntie Sue here.' He paused then said, 'Nope I'm sorry. We don't know anyone of that name.'

Very dry but his message came across very clearly. He was about your chara's age at the time.
    by Mox at 17:24 on 15 November 2010
    Hi Nmott, Caroline, and Emma

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it. I was confused to what to write next. Everybody has same answer, so I've changed my character's attitude accordingly, and it fits best.

I've totally forgotten my childhood memories what I used to talk with my mother in that situation. I rarely see my parents together.

Thank you very much.

Michael

<Added>

Oh sorry ! I forget to mention Cherys, Thanks Cherys for your reply.