Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 27 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >  
  • Generating ideas
    by darkstar at 09:16 on 20 March 2005
    I'm a subscriber to Mslexia, which has been running a series of articles on using psychology to foster creativity. In the autumn issue there were some techniques on using self hypnosis to access your unconscious as a way of generating ideas. I've been trying a couple of these out in recent weeks and thought I would report back on the results.

It's been interesting. The first technique generates a form of free writing while in a light trance. It's really strange. I just start writing, and all this stuff pours out - it's almost automatic. Every time I've done it I've got something that I can see will probably make a short story when I take the time to edit and polish it. It's disjointed at first, I tend to write down impressions of what's around me, or some memory of something that happened that day, but it flowers from there - a description of some trees I remembered driving past turned into a ghost story about a house in a wood. It always comes out in the present tense. Strange, but fun.

Weirder, is the technique of talking to your characters. It works on the basis that our characters are part of us and can be questionned. It sounds a bit Twilight Zone, and I admit I was sceptical, but it works. You do it in exactly the same way as the first technique except instead of a free write you start writing questions for your character. It feels really silly at first, and can be hard to get anything. I think it perhaps helps if there's something specific you want to know. The first time I did it, I really had to coax the character into talking. I could picture him standing there with his back to me and his arms folded, telling me to go away. But I gradually got him to turn round and 'he' came out with this great long diatribe which was fantastically useful in telling me where he was coming from at the point in the story I was at.

I've done it since with other characters and each time, I've got something useful. I will say however, that I think both of these techniques are things that should be used sparingly and with caution, and the article in Mslexia certainly warns of this.
  • Re: Generating ideas
    by Dee at 10:04 on 20 March 2005
    Cas, that’s fascinating.

I’ve been practicing self-hypnosis for years, and I’m particularly interested in past-life regression – in fact it forms the basis of the plot of my current novel – but I’ve never thought to attempt to write while in trance.

I’ll definitely have a go!

Dee
    by darkstar at 17:20 on 20 March 2005
    I can see how it might be dangerous - the idea of talking to your characters as if they are real people could be very seductive, but I've definitely got material that has proved enlightening in terms of telling me where my characters are at. As Mr Spock would say, fascinating.
    by Dee at 17:47 on 20 March 2005
    Yes, meant to ask that and I forgot. Did Myslexia warn that self-hypnosis is dangerous? And did they say why?

Dee
    by anisoara at 21:06 on 20 March 2005
    I'm weird already, so I wouldn't mind getting that much closer to my characters. Maybe I could get them to write my stories for me, too! :-)

No rally, well, I wasn't joking, but you know what I mean - really, I've seen these articles too and I like them. I haven't tried them yet myself and it's helpful I think to read your description of it, Cas. Gives some idea of what to expect when going about it. Maybe I'll stop thinking about it and give it a go. If I do, I'll report back.

<Added>

really
    by Dee at 21:48 on 20 March 2005
    Ani, give me a shout if you want any help with it.

Dee
    x
    by anisoara at 22:50 on 20 March 2005
    Thanks, Dee. I'd like that.
    by darkstar at 19:03 on 21 March 2005
    Dee, the article was written by a chartered psychologist, and it was very upfront about the possible dangers, for example stating quite categorically that those suffering from depression should not attempt it. I very deliberately did not attempt to reproduce the instructions for putting yourself in a light trance, because of this.

For the second exercise, I think it's important that you know the point in the story you are questioning the character. One of the ones I did, had just had an argument with some of the others and had stomped off to the pub. When I 'talked' to him, he was furious - swore at me a lot, and may even have been a little drunk. But it was useful because I wanted to know what he intended doing to the protagonist, as a result of the arguement.

Definitely weird.

Cas
    by JoPo at 20:37 on 21 March 2005
    'Chartered' psychologist, eh? Well, that'll be risk-free. BTW how do you know if you're not suffering from depression? I would think that depression is a fairly normal reaction to the world. If you're into WRITING I beg to sugest it's unavoidable!

Joe
    by Skippoo at 10:52 on 22 March 2005
    Good thread, Cas! I find this kind of thing fascinating. My singing/songwriting teacher works with similar kind of stuff - meditations and visualisations to help overcome creative blocks and I've had some quite freaky (but good) experiences. She works with 'sub-personalities', which means different sides/different characters within yourself, which is kind of similar to what you're talking about. I really like the idea of trying it with literary characters, though.

I'd be really interested in reading all these articles on psychology and creativity. is it possible to buy back issues?

Yeah, you're right Joe, probably many of us suffer from depression (but suggesting that all writers do is buying into the idea that artists are a bit mad - see my poor, lonely, neglected Madness and Creativity thread!!). I guess any psychologist writing an article has to put a warning in to cover themselves, though.

Catherine

<Added>

Dee, do you think your self-hypnosis has helped you to become more prolific? (Maybe if we all tried it we'd have 1000s and 1000s of WW points!)
    by anisoara at 11:22 on 22 March 2005
    Skip,

Yes, you can buy back issues. The articles in question are in the latest issues. You can order over the phone at 0191 261 6656 with a credit/debit card - they can tell you whether the issues are still in stock. I know issues 23 & 24 have the articles - not sure if there are others. You could ask, though. Or go to http://www.mslexia.co.uk/ and click on the 'back issues' button.
    by Skippoo at 14:45 on 22 March 2005
    Cheers, Ani.
    by Dee at 17:56 on 22 March 2005
    Cath, I really can’t say. I do know my experiences of regression hypnosis helped enormously when I was writing The Winter House. One regression scene was, near as dammit, my own. On a more general level, I find it easy to slip into an altered state of consciousness for very short periods, maybe just two or three minutes at a time. I get some funny looks at work but can often plot out whole scenes by the time I come home. It’s getting to the stage where I can operate on two levels simultaneously. It’s very useful.

Dee

<Added>

forgot to say - I'm definitely not depressed!

:)
    by JoPo at 22:51 on 22 March 2005
    Catherine, yes you're right about writers and depression - there's not a necessary connection. Nor with psychosis and writing. James Joyce, in giving a lecture on William Blake, in 1912 at the Universita Popolare in Trieste said: 'To say that a great genius is mad, while at the same time recognizing his artistic merit, is no better than to say he is rheumatic or diabetic.' (Quoted in Ellman's life of Joyce, 'James Joyce'

I agree with Signor Joyce, and you. What I said earlier was brought on by dyspepsia.

Joe

<Added>

And Smiley pops up unbidden! (But at least I know why, thanks to Dee)
    by Skippoo at 13:39 on 24 March 2005
    Dee,

I'd love to hear more about your experiences with this and how it's helped your writing. Did you get into it for personal or creative reasons?

Cath
  • This 27 message thread spans 2 pages: 1  2  > >