Login   Sign Up 

This 20 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 
  • Re: futuristic dystopias - your favourites?
    by EmmaH at 16:37 on 06 January 2011
    I just felt it was so bleak, Caroline. Beautifully written but so bleak that ultimately it felt pointless and nihilistic. I also felt the violence was really gratuitous, the literary equivalent of a slasher movie, there for the shock value as much as anything else. I suppose I feel the whole purpose of art is to ultimately offer something redemptive, but I couldn't find anything of the kind in it.

Which reminds me, another dystopian novel - "Song of Stone" by Iain Banks. Perhaps the nastiest novel I have ever read - the literary equivalent of being raped, I felt.
    by CarolineSG at 18:31 on 06 January 2011
    You're not a fan of that book, then?

Sorry, couldn;t resist!!
    by EmmaH at 14:06 on 07 January 2011
    Lmao - though generally I am a fan of most of his other books!
    by AdaB at 18:46 on 21 August 2012
    This is my absolute favourite genre - in fact my WIP is a dystopian story.

I second (third?) Children of Men as a favourite, and Brave New World is my most favourite book of all time. 1984 is a must-read, although bleak as heck (George Orwell writes so well you forget that though). 'The Handmaids Tale' by Margaret Attwood is brilliant and very readable because it's only a short book.

One book that I've read and never forgot (because I basically couldn't sleep for a week afterwards) is 'Death of Grass' by John Christopher (real name Samuel Youd). I supposes its a disaster-movie novel really, but dystopia fans would enjoy it. It's about what would happen if all the species of grass, from wheat and rice to bamboo die out. That's why I love dystopias - the what ifs.

One I've read recently and adore is 'The Holy Machine' by Chris Beckett. I particularly enjoy, if that is the right word for it, the way the book talks about the Holy American Empire and the Atheist Pogroms. But the scary thing is that when you are reading it, you feel some of this stuff could actually happen. It's a real page turner and had some amazing reviews.

by CarolineSG at 18:47 on 21 August 2012
    Ah a year on, can I now recommend....?

No, I can't do it! It's too obnoxious and self serving!!!!
  • This 20 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2