Login   Sign Up 

• Another historical research question
    by Steerpike`s sister at 12:37 on 08 July 2012
    It's still 1799. Is it likely that a young gentleman - not titled, more of a long-established country family, well off, in the navy - would have to forefeit his inheritance if he married a Catholic? I am guessing the answer is yes.
  • Re: Another historical research question
    by Account Closed at 12:46 on 08 July 2012
    What are the circumstances? Would she convert or allow their children to be raised C of E, or would he have to convert?

I'm no expert, but I think it's unlikely he would HAVE to forfeit his inheritance (particularly if she were not bothered about having the children raised outside the faith) but you could always give him super strict parents if you wanted it to be a plot point.

I think the key point would probably over whether he proposed to convert - I can't remember the specifics but I think it was difficult for a Catholic to take the oaths of allegiance in the Navy...? That could be rubbish though. I can't 100% remember!
    by Steerpike`s sister at 12:50 on 08 July 2012
    I want to put difficulties in their way, so I can make her unwilling to give up her faith and him equally so.
    by Account Closed at 13:14 on 08 July 2012
    I just checked Patrick O'Brian (I know - I know - but he's generally pretty sound) and I think the Navy could be a good stumbling block if you wanted one - she could refuse to allow any children to be raised Protestant and he could be determined that his sons would go into the Navy, and at that time you had to swear an oath renouncing the Pope when you passed for a Lieutenant.
    by Account Closed at 13:16 on 08 July 2012
    I mean I realise they're not yet married, but it's the sort of thing his people would ask as soon as they knew she was Catholic.
    by EmmaD at 13:28 on 08 July 2012
    Oh, I think it would be very possible indeed, from the social-historical standpoint. Only 20 years since the Gordon Riots. And Catholic Emancipation is up there with Abolition as a political hot potato - if I'm remembering correctly, more than one very senior politician was toppled by supporting it.

It would depend on the terms of the inheritance, though. f it's in his father's or mother's gift, then they can just cut him out of their will - and it would be more likely than we would like to contemplate...

If the estate (financial or physical) is entailed - which is very likely, think Pride & Prejudice - then it's a bit different, and it would be harder to cut him out. I THINK it would be a case of getting everyone else who has an interest in the entail (i.e. anyone who might under any circumstances become the heir) to get together and break it, so as to remove him from the beneficiaries. And even then the Trustees (probably lawywers) would have to agree - and he could fight it.

But I'm pretty sure that at that date she wouldn't be allowed to marry him unless he converted. Unless she doesn't mind being excommunicated, of course.

And if he's converted that would then be a handicap in his career - I can't remember where, exactly, Catholic Emancipation has got to at that date, but quite how high you could rise in Government service while (as they would see it) owing allegiance to Rome over allegiance to the monarch, I'm not sure.
    by Steerpike`s sister at 13:56 on 08 July 2012
    I'm thinking of him as a second son, inheriting some money but not estate - would that make sense?
    by EmmaD at 15:40 on 08 July 2012
    Yes, with second son, it would be up to the parents, in our primogenitural system. In France it wouldn't be - he'd get his cut, whatever.
    by Steerpike`s sister at 17:24 on 08 July 2012
    thanks guys!
    by Freebird at 12:45 on 11 July 2012
    I'll be very interesting in reading this book when it's done - sounds really intriguing, especially from the pitch you posted in CWG
    by Account Closed at 19:02 on 11 July 2012
    I know - I'm desperate to read it!
    by Steerpike`s sister at 20:06 on 11 July 2012
    Thanks! I'm just working out the plot in detail at the moment, and really enjoying it.