Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 22 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 
  • Re: WW`s Anecdotist on Writer`s Block, new at This Itch of Writing
    by debac at 11:18 on 21 July 2013
    I haven't eaten trifle since I was a child. I was never a huge fan - I hated the soggy sponge bits - but most of it was nice. I liked the cream cold custard, jelly etc.

Deb
    by EmmaD at 12:10 on 21 July 2013
    Ten-minute trifle
    For 4, (and it is even better the next day)

10 sponge fingers, broken into 2.5 cm pieces
    250ml chilled sweet white wine, such as Moscato or half sherry
    100g raspberries, loganberries or blackberries
    2 ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
    2 eggs, separated
    50g caster sugar
    224g Mascarpone cheese
    a little vanilla extract or brandy

Put the sponge fingers in a 1.1 litre/2 pint dish. You can use that cut-glass thing Auntie Connie gave you if you must, but the trifle looks far more elegant in a plain white china bowl. Pour over the wine, gently pressing the fingers down into the liquid, then throw in the raspberries or other berries and the bananas.
    Cream the egg yolks with the sugar, add the Mascarpone and beat with an electric whisk till light and creamy. Tip in the vanilla or brandy. Whisk the egg whites till they form stiff peaks and fold gently but thoroughly into the cream. Tip the Mascarpone cream over the fruit and sponge. Shake the bowl gently for a few seconds.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2001/aug/12/foodanddrink.features5
    by AlanH at 12:32 on 21 July 2013

Great, but where's the custard? (Not even any almonds ) And will blue stilton do instead of that AlCapone stuff? No? How about Australian cheddar?
    by EmmaD at 14:01 on 21 July 2013
    LoL Alan.
    by debac at 14:03 on 21 July 2013
    AlCapone.... <giggle>

I think I'll just stick with my fresh strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, with meringue and soya cream, which I am currently having every evening cos the fruits are abundant atm and it's part of my Pudding Diet.

Also, sadly, I can't eat cheese, so the recipe is not for me, but it does sound yummy, Emma, thanks.

Deb
    by EmmaD at 14:26 on 21 July 2013
    Mascarpone's only thick, cultured cream, really, Deb - does anyone make a soya equivalent?

And one of the pleasures is that it leaves the rest of the bottle of Moscatel (which is dead cheap, or always was) nicely chilled and needing drinking.
    by debac at 14:30 on 21 July 2013
    I havne't seen a soya equivalent, Emma, but I think it may come one day. There are some really good dairy free cheeses now, made mostly from coconut oil I believe. The Free From ranges improve all the time.

Anyway, I could do the same kind of recipe using the soya cream, I suspect.

Thanks!

Deb
  • This 22 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2