Login   Sign Up 

• What happens when someone dies and leaves no living relatives?
    by Pen and Ink at 17:38 on 25 October 2013
    I know the estate passes to the Crown when no relations can be found and there's no will, but what do they do with the money/property? Is it kept? Is it spent? If so, on what?

Any ideas?
  • Re: What happens when someone dies and leaves no living relatives?
    by eve26 at 18:20 on 25 October 2013
    Isn't that when the Hier Hunters get involved - or have I been watching too much tv?

My hubby's friend works for them so I can find out if you need the info x
    by Pen and Ink at 18:31 on 25 October 2013
    Thanks, Eve. That would be great. I kind of thought that heir hunters tried to stop the Crown getting the money? I wonder who employs them? And if the Crown do get their hands on it, what do they do with it?
    by Catkin at 22:56 on 25 October 2013
    I kind of thought that heir hunters tried to stop the Crown getting the money? I wonder who employs them?

Heir hunters (or probate researchers, as they are also known) set out to do this without any guarantee of getting paid, because they get a cut of the estate if they can persuade the beneficiaries to sign up with them. I imagine people sign with them because it saves them from having to do their own research - or perhaps, having been told that they are in line for something, they don't realise that they could claim the money without any outside help.

by Jem at 12:13 on 26 October 2013
    There was a good radio 4 serial (the one that comes on for 15 mins every day after WH) about Bounty Hunters. I always think it would be a good idea for a serial but the research I'd have to do kind of puts me off.
    by Pen and Ink at 13:27 on 26 October 2013
    I imagine people sign with them because it saves them from having to do their own research - or perhaps, having been told that they are in line for something, they don't realise that they could claim the money without any outside help.

I didn't know such businesses as these hunters existed until I started looking into it! If it was me I'd try and find other ways to claim the money, other than going through them and losing a wedge of cash.