Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 22 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2 
  • Re: Short story v novel- how about this?
    by Jumbo at 09:55 on 21 November 2003
    Hi

I thought that WriteWords was more than just a place to post your work so that others could react to it. I had the idea that most of us are here to hone the craft of writing - in whichever form (or forms) we are interested.
    My main objective in joining was for other people to give me tips, hints , suggestions (call them what you will) as to how I can improve my writing.I want to get better at what I do. (Some would say I need to get a lot better! But that's another story. What I am most interested in is HOW I can improve.)
    So when I say that I don't feel qualified to comment on people's poetry (as I have done in the past) it's not because I can't tell you whether or not I like it - it's because I assumed that the creator of the piece is looking for constructive 'technical' criticism and assessment of the skills they have used. And I can't provide that sort of feedback.
    It's not elitist or classist or formist: it's that I know nothing about the form of poetry.
    But if what you want is 'Yes, I like that' or 'No, I don't' then I think I may have missed the point as to why we are here.

John

by Anna Reynolds at 13:01 on 21 November 2003
    John, good point- as were the others just before it. I think one answer is that people on this site- as elsewhere- want different responses at different times. When I teach writing, some of my students really do not want any criticism at all, and some are offended if they don't get it. Sometimes they say they want it, but can't actually handle it when they do, and.... on and on. What always impresses me about the comments on WriteWords is the very variety- some strokes, some very detailed, pactical criticism, some more emotional, creative criticsm; the whole kaboosh.
    by Becca at 18:53 on 21 November 2003
    Well, I see what you mean Ellenna. And I can say about a piece that I liked, enjoyed, was moved by it, and I read poetry from time to time. But what I was saying was that if someone were to ask me how to make it better or improve it, (thinking I could do that because I was a writer), I couldn't help them, they'd need a poet.
    by Becca at 18:55 on 21 November 2003
    Jumbo has said it better than me.
    by Ticonderoga at 19:18 on 21 November 2003

Most defintions seem to agree that a forum is a place for 'open discussion'; this is one of the things I am very attracted by on the site. All the comments posted are valid, some being directly apropos of the original point made or question asked, some veering off on related tangents inspired by the passion and enthusiasm of the various respondents, but all adding to the total worth of the 'open discussion'. As with a good pub or party conversation, the point will be wandered away from at times, to diverting effect, only to have somebody bring it back for a final, communal summing up. Expertise and technical opinions are invaluable and essential, of course, but so are unalloyed passion and enthusiasm.
    Keep up the healthy, earnest, humorous,useful,loving and helpful comments you fiery scribes!
    by Becca at 21:22 on 21 November 2003
    My's a big G&T with ice and lemon.
    by Ticonderoga at 22:28 on 21 November 2003

In that case.......I'll have a pernod on the rocks, ta!

Mike
  • This 22 message thread spans 2 pages:  < <   1  2