Login   Sign Up 

Random Read

This 54 message thread spans 4 pages:  < <   1   2  3  4  > >  
  • Re: Move over Pop Idol- here`s Lit Idol!
    by Anna Reynolds at 16:08 on 21 November 2003
    len, I think if you look at what I said, it was 'largely' a matter of confidence. Novelists I know, quite well known ones, some of them, have all said that the one of the biggest problems for them is reading their own work, to an audience, with confidence. Reading someone else's words is one thing, -God knows that can be difficult enough!- but it's a question of being judged by an audience not only on your abilities as a speaker, but as the one responsible for the words. Yes, some are fantastic- I suppose I'm just concerned that books are there to be read, and it would be shame if one's speaking abilities were the stumbling block. But as Darryl says, it will be a different kind of audience- it's not as sexy as Pop Idol in TV terms- so let's see. It will be interesting, anyway. And if anyone from this site is going for it, then best of luck to you.
    by Dee at 18:38 on 21 November 2003
    Last year I enrolled on a local writing course which involved reading our work aloud. I was terrified at first -and not terribly good at it - but I gained confidence and my reading style improved greatly. I can recommend it to anyone who hopes to have their work published but dreads the idea of reading to an audience.
    It is, however, a good point made by Anna. Books are written to be read, not read aloud. Fear of a 'public performance' should not deter us as writers.
    Dee.
    by old friend at 20:01 on 21 November 2003
    Anne, What you said was 'the reason writers aren't always good readers is largely confidence'. I have read it again and I still do not agree.

There are many examples of 'good' writers who are or were certainly not without 'confidence' but who were awful when it came to reading their own work. (Alfred Lord Tennyson, George Bernard Shaw, etc)

The basic point is that any writing that has reached the final stage deserves the very best reading by the most professional of readers.

Len

by eric4567 at 00:10 on 21 February 2004

A good friend of mine has just been selected as one of the last 30 (for lit idol), this person has worked hard at her vocation for a number of years, and I hope she does well.

by Hilary at 08:27 on 21 February 2004
    I wish her well.
    I think hard work should always be acknowledged.
    I suspect it's a been a bit more difficult to reach this stage than people on here would have us all believe.
    Hilary.
    by Richardwest at 11:05 on 21 February 2004
    If it's on TV then its primary purpose ain't to find talent but entertain. And, seeing as it's reality TV, the point of the entertainment is to provide as much in the way of humiliation as possible. In an era when news readers know sod all about news and 'weather girls' can't spell meteorology and the BBC has people who can't even drive a car doing traffic reports because oh, those luvvly deep feminine voices, we're into a circus where appearance is all and substance, nothing. Writers rarely make good readers: if they did, they wouldn't be writers but actors. And if that was the case, the BBC for one could save a load of money on hiring readers for its serialised books. Good luck to anyone who wants to participate in something like this, but it's worth remembering that contemporary television is only the Roman forum in electronic guise: it exists to eat people. Not salute 'em.

Richard
    by old friend at 14:18 on 21 February 2004
    I truly wish Eric's friend the very best. I hope the votes flood in, for Hilary is absolutely right when mentioning the hard work.

Unfortunately my thoughts go along with Richard's analysis of what this may well be all about but we shall see...

Len
    by Hilary at 07:42 on 22 February 2004
    I can only go off my own experience of someone I knew who worked for The BBC, Richard, and I can assure you she was nothing like the characters you describe.
    That doesn't, of course, mean that all of them are educated. I only knew one so I suppose I can't really comment.

I sometimes suspect that there are many people who are successful because of their talent (and hard work) though.
    I think, on balance, it is would be unfair to class all the BBC as you do. It's a bit like saying all writers are rubbish because some reads a book that they don't like.

Hilary.

<Added>

Sorry, some (in the last but one line) should read as someone.
    by Jubbly at 09:43 on 22 February 2004
    Got to say Richard, a good friend of mine is a newsreader on the BBC, she's an Oxford graduate, a highly trained reporter and has worked extremely hard over the past 16 years to get where she has today.
    by Richardwest at 10:05 on 22 February 2004
    Sorry Hilary, Jubbly: my comment wasn't intended as a specific attack on the beeb. But on all media. I guess I've known and worked with too many tv and radio people to count and many are close friends. But it's an unfortunate fact that there wouldn't be mediocre output if there weren't mediocre people: cause and effect. There'll always be good ones and hopefully they'll win through. 'Reality TV' though has increasingly become the refuge of those without a single thought in their heads, other than how to exploit the gullible. . .

Dyspeptically yours: Richard
    by Daisy at 13:27 on 22 February 2004
    Maybe I am being peculiarly dumb here (not like me at all ... ahem) but is lit idol anything to do with TV at all? The only place I have seen a reference to lit idol and tv is on this thread. I am not convinced that it will be televised.
    by Account Closed at 16:08 on 22 February 2004
    Daisy - at some point in their literature they have reassured people that in fact it won't be televised, so frightened winners should be less frightened!

Holly B
    by darkstar at 16:10 on 22 February 2004
    AFAIK lit idol has nothing to do with television - it's a competition attached to the London Book Fair. I think they just used the 'idol' tag as something that would get instant recognition.

Cas
    by anisoara at 16:31 on 22 February 2004
    I have to disagree with Richard's comment that good readers wouldn't be writers, they'd be actors. Look at Beryl Bainbridge and Antony Sher! Two actors who are great writers. On a personal level, I can act, and I think this is part of why I love writing: I can slip into a role.

I think someone mentioned this earlier, but I think that the reading of the work not only prejudices some writers, but also certain types of writing.

Nevertheless, I am waiting for next year when I can jump into the fray! Now's the time for me to try to stretch myself beyond the short story!!!

Anne Marie
    by Colin-M at 17:43 on 22 February 2004
    Wow, what a thread. Not sure about the competition, might be a good thing for the people who get in the top five. It certainly can't be bad. Not for me though.

What I will say is just a short bit about reading aloud. I started reading work out about six months ago (writers' circles and related things). I found it very difficult at first, but quite addictive and the benefits are huge, not just in personal confidence, but in the craft of writing. For instance, the use of "he said", "she said." If a piece is written to be read then you can get away with avoiding this (to a degree). If the piece is written to be listened to (ie for radio/talking books) it can be confusing if it is not made clear exactly which character is speaking at any given time.

I'm not sure if I'm explaining this very well at all, all I can say is to give it a try. Stand up, face a mirror and read your work aloud. You might be surprised just how many parts you will suddenly want to change.

Colin M.

• This 54 message thread spans 4 pages:  < <   1   2  3  4  > >