Login   Sign Up 

This 85 message thread spans 6 pages: 1  2   3   4   5   6  > >  
  • Calling Tinyclanger!
    by Dee at 17:17 on 01 December 2003
    Well, you were right. Why are we censored at 40 postings?

Anyway, back to the subject and apologies to everyone else who hasn't been following this discussion.

I'm tryng to find the origin of an inscription I saw on a gravestone many years ago and Tinyclanger is helping me. All I can remember is:

He rides his wild October sky.
    He did not die. He did not die.

The grave in question was in (I think) the grounds of a house in the Lake District, in the Langdales area, called Elterwater Hall. I say I think because I had climbed over a broken down fence to get close enough to read the inscription. So it's possible the grave was off the property of the Hall. Elterwater is a village about ten or fifteen minutes north of Ambleside. (With a fabulous pub called The Britannia, if you're ever in the area)
    If you're reading this, Richard, You can't be far off? Nip along and have a look - there's a pal!

As a matter of fact, I do wonder why the grave was there. It was the only one. It does make you wonder, doesn't it...

Dee.
  • Re: Calling Tinyclanger!
    by tinyclanger at 19:25 on 01 December 2003
    Hello Dee.

Well this IS nice. Better furniture, nicely decorated. Candlewick bedspreads. Ooh, look, a balcony! Can we see the sea?
    And a mini-bar, courtesy of WW, to apologise for blocking us mid research...I'll have a G&T please, and better fix Mike one of his L&Ms. Hope he can find us...
    Well, despite the disapointment of the old thread being ruthlessly and mercilessly squished, I like this one much better.

Ah! lots of new details to help in our quest - and re-inforcements called for. Always a good idea, that. I'm sure our joint furrowed brows can lick this one.
    Someone lives nearby, too. Yes, go on, Richard, have a look! We've got free drink for all who have a go!

But, I begin to worry:
    1) thinks it was in the grounds of a house
    2) climbed over a fence to get to it
    3) only one grave all on it's own, odd that..
    and, most significantly
    4) there's a fab, I repeat FAB, pub nearby

Over to you, Dee...

by Dee at 19:34 on 01 December 2003
    Harrumph! Are you doubting my details?
    1) Well, it was in the ground.
    2) Broken down so it might have been part of the same property.
    3) And your pint is?
    4) Yes. FAB. Really.

I hope you are not suggesting I'd overindulged at the Brit? As if I would...

Ball's in your court, TC.
    xxx

<Added>

YEEK!!!
    Spot the Freudian slip...
    by tinyclanger at 19:51 on 01 December 2003
    Lol!!

I thought you'd done that on purpose!!
    hee, hee! Point made, I feel!

No, seriously, Dee, I don't doubt you for a second and am as we speak sliding down my greasy pole, (ooer, can I have another go?), into the depths of the LibCave to become..er...
    well, whatever it is we Librarians become when we get all dynamic and researchy. Anyone who shouts 'sad b******s' will be asked to leave.

Elterwater Hall, eh? Hmmmm
    by Ticonderoga at 16:26 on 02 December 2003

I CANNOT trace this sodding poem! Eet drive me crayzee.....still searching. Back for chats by tomorrow, all being well.

lonely m
    by Dee at 16:42 on 02 December 2003
    Ye gads! What have I spawned?
    Richard lives in the Lake Ditrict, doesn't he? Perhaps he could go to Elterwater and explore, find the grave and report back... It shouldn't be too difficult... out of the front door, turn right. Keep walking until you fall over a gravestone. What could be easier?

Dee.
    )

<Added>

ps: why lonely m?
    by Tim Darwin at 18:57 on 02 December 2003
    Would it help to point out that the line

He rides his wild October sky

is in fact a cunning anagram of

Described he his yolk, writ so?

No, I didn't think it would, either ...
    by tinyclanger at 19:15 on 02 December 2003
    Hullo, all

Yes, come on Richard, you've had long enough by now! We're waiting! (er..who IS Richard?..don't think we've met, Hi Richard!)

S'a bugger, this one Dee, make no mistake. Last night, all fired up with my new information, I spent a merry while googling Elterwater..found some fab stuff, but nothing resembling a grave with a literary inscription. But, I didn't look at 'em all, so I may have another go later on. Not beaten yet, not by a long chalk, or even a short crayon come to that.
    I reckon somewhere there's a local history society just dying for an email from little old me with a juicy query for them.
    It's amazing what you can find with a bit of ingenuity and persistance and damn good luck, of course. Recently I tracked down someone I hadn't seen for over 25 years, knew only his first name - and didn't want him to know I was looking for him. Tricky, but I got my man!

What shall we do while we're waiting? Drink anyone?

Oh, have asked WW about the 40 postings limit - no reply as yet.

So come on Dee, you write books. Who are your favourite authors? I find this a very hard one - so many, and for such diverse reasons. In fact am off to ponder it now..

(how'd you get the one with the square gob?)
    by tinyclanger at 19:15 on 02 December 2003
    Hullo, all

Yes, come on Richard, you've had long enough by now! We're waiting! (er..who IS Richard?..don't think we've met, Hi Richard!)

S'a bugger, this one Dee, make no mistake. Last night, all fired up with my new information, I spent a merry while googling Elterwater..found some fab stuff, but nothing resembling a grave with a literary inscription. But, I didn't look at 'em all, so I may have another go later on. Not beaten yet, not by a long chalk, or even a short crayon come to that.
    I reckon somewhere there's a local history society just dying for an email from little old me with a juicy query for them.
    It's amazing what you can find with a bit of ingenuity and persistance and damn good luck, of course. Recently I tracked down someone I hadn't seen for over 25 years, knew only his first name - and didn't want him to know I was looking for him. Tricky, but I got my man!

So come on Dee, you write books. Who are your favourite authors? I find this a very hard one - so many, and for such diverse reasons. In fact am off to ponder it now..

<Added>

Oh dear! How have I managed this? well, I can't get rid of them so, sorry.
    by tinyclanger at 19:16 on 02 December 2003
    Hullo, all

<Added>

What a waste of two precious postings....I'm off to stand in the corner now...
    by Dee at 20:13 on 02 December 2003
    I think it's a colon and a small case o... like

Let's try it and see. Yesss!

My favourite author? Ho hum... depends what mood I'm in. At the moment I like Barbara Erskine and Robert Goddard.
    I like Lesley Horton and Zoe Sharp - but I know them so I'm a bit biased -but when I'm in the mood for a good crime novel they're the ones. Oh and Minette Walters. Jill Mansell for humour. Maggie O'Farrell for a good cry. Then there are the classics... but how about you?

<Added>

And no, Tim, it doesn't help... ;) unless you are offering to go up to Elterwater and join in the search... so... who's your favourite author?
    :)
    by tinyclanger at 22:52 on 02 December 2003
    Lor, I've just realised I don't actually read that many adult books...!

I guess I have a mixed bag:
    Salman Rushdie
    Orwell
    Pat Barker
    Marge Peircy
    Victoria Holt , yes I DID say it. I LOVE her stuff and am trying to collect it all. fantastic!

er, sure to be more...
    and kiddies ones:

Leon Garfield
    Philip Pullman
    C.S. Lewis
    Aiden Chambers
    Melvin Burgess (some, not the raunchy ones!)
    Louis Sachar
    Malorie Blackman

Would be VERY easy to make that list a lot longer! Shows the slant of my reading. Professional awareness I call it, but I think it's more just enjoying being a kid again!

Off to bed now, hope to have more time and maybe some news tomorrow!
    Night , Night

by Elspeth at 11:14 on 03 December 2003
    Glad I'm not the only one who loves children's fiction! I'm intrigued by this quest - I knew nothing about the super-sized posting of old, and doubt I can help much. But there's something very romantic about the search for an epitaph in the middle of nowhere. Will let you know if I stumble across an unsolicited ms titled "Little Known Epitaphs of the Lake District". Good luck!
    Katie
    by tinyclanger at 14:57 on 03 December 2003
    I have this bizzare feeling that such a tome may well exist - somewhere!

Haven't had time to resume the search, but I will. Have decided I need to consult the DC-Rom of full-text English Poetry that I know exists..it's just where would I get to it? I have a friend who works in a Uni Library..I feel a favour coming on!

But of course now I don't just want to find the verse, I want to know about the poor sod in the grave, too!

Dee, you have created a monster...

Back later
    tc
    by Dee at 18:21 on 03 December 2003
    Uh-oh!
    I can feel a trip to the Lakes coming on. Problem is the grounds are private and I might have problems getting access now. Unless the hall has changed hands, I know which organisation owns it. I could try asking them if they will let me explore in the cause of research...
    To be honest, I feel a new plot coming on...

Keep going TC. You're a hero.
    Dee.
    )
  • This 85 message thread spans 6 pages: 1  2   3   4   5   6  > >