Login   Sign Up 

• It`s one way of getting started ....
    by breeksy at 09:16 on 11 May 2003
    Has anyone used the poetry generator and story starter here? http://www.webcom.com/wordings/artofwrite/inspiration.html

Okay, it maybe won't help you write the blockbuster, but it might get some ideas flowing.

I just discovered it and am trying to write a short story (although short stories are not my thing). I will let you know how it goes!
  • Re: It`s one way of getting started ....
    by Becca at 20:43 on 11 May 2003
    Fascinated by what you wrote and looked on the site you mentioned and saw the words, 'bought to you by Reader's Digest' Sorry, I don't go there, but I was interested in the thought that you might be interested in the short story form. Look up 'One Story' and see what you think. If you really are interested in shorts I might be able to pass on a wealth of information to you.
    Becca.
    by breeksy at 07:35 on 12 May 2003
    Readers Digest? I didn't see that - anyway, no matter - it just sets up random situations for a story to be based on, I don't think it would be of any relevance to someone that knows what they are doing ..... unlike me!

I used to write short stories as a kid, and just about every year I had one in the school magazine, I loved writing them and I was always given good marks for them. I just seem to have lost the knack .... I don't know what it is, but probably something to do with my lack of confidence/skill in description. Having said that I think short stories are a terrific (and difficult) thing to be able to write, and full marks to you for doing it.

If you want to give hints and tips, they would be most welcome (I am sure not just by me, either)
    by Becca at 21:25 on 12 May 2003
    Breeksy,
    Yes, it is a very demanding discipline, but fantastic when something does work well.
    Speak to you again,
    Becca.
    by Anna Reynolds at 22:00 on 14 May 2003
    We will, most likely, be starting some kind of specific group for people who want time-limited tasks or exercises, which can be useful for both very new and not-so-new writers as a discipline- we'll let you know. And again I cannot recommend highly enough The Creative Writing Coursebook which has been a godsend for me- like Becca, I don't usually suffer from block or lack of inspiration/starting points, but I do fall into bad habits and there are some exercises in that book that utterly made me rethink those old habits and have a new approach to my work. And, says my producer and director at the moment, it's working for me... so don't knock it til you've tried it. Real exercises and stimulation from working writers, some of whom are really fab people like Julia Darling .